Previous Graduation Requirements
These requirements apply to the Class of 2013 and prior classes. Class of 2014 and subsequent classes should see the current requirements here.
- 210 credits, of which 108 must be earned while enrolled at Carleton.
- Cumulative grade average of C (2.0) or better.
- A major field of study: chosen during the third term of sophomore year; number of credits varies by department; grades earned in required courses in the department must be a C- or better.
- Integrative Exercise: a maximum of fifteen and a minimum of three academic credits awarded for an integrative exercise.
- Residence Requirement: at least six terms, including the senior year (last three terms) must be spent in residence.
- one writing requirement course
- sophomore writing portfolio
- proficiency in a language other than English (four or five courses depending on the language)
- one course designated “recognition and affirmation of difference” (RAD)
- four terms of physical education, two of which can be fulfilled by participation in approved club sports
Distribution requirements (60 credits):
- 18 math and science credits
- 18 social science credits
- 12 arts and literature credits
- 12 humanities credits