Aid for International Students
We have limited funds for international scholarships. However, the following scholarship opportunities are available:
- Up to six full scholarships covering Carleton's comprehensive fee, including tuition, room and board.
- Up to six partial scholarships with a maximum value of one-half of Carleton's comprehensive fee.
Applying for These Scholarships
Please submit the Carleton application by the appropriate Early or Regular Decision deadline. All international students who apply for financial aid will be considered for the appropriate international scholarships.
International students applying for financial aid need to complete the Certification of Finances and either the CSS/Profile or the International Student Financial Aid Application. The Certification of Finances and the International Student Financial Aid Application can both be downloaded, and once completed, submitted directly to the Office of Student Financial Services. Although the CSS/Profile requires a fee payment, neither the Certification of Finances nor the International Student Financial Aid Application require a fee to complete. These forms should be submitted to Carleton by February 15.
Students who hold dual citizenship (including U.S.), those who have U.S. permanent resident status (I-151, I-551, or I-551C), and non-citizens holding arrival-departure records (I-94) with certain designations may qualify for federal financial aid. These students should review the Affording Carleton section.
Funding for International Scholarships
Carleton is grateful for these resources which have made international scholarships available:
- Starr Foundation Grants: (largest source of funding) Scholarship opportunities for students from Asia.
- Kellogg Scholarships: Financial aid for highly qualified non-U.S. citizens to attend Carleton.
- George International Fellowships: Aid to students from developing nations who determine economic need and exceptional academic promise.
- Underbrink Fund for Global Initiatives: established with gifts from the estate of F. Keith Underbrink, a member of the Carleton Class of 1956, this scholarship provides financial aid to international students
Important Note for International Students: Financial assistance is secured at the time of your entry to Carleton. Given the limited funding available to international students, we will NOT consider new applications for aid once you have enrolled. You should make your plans for attendance at Carleton with the financial aid you have been awarded for your first year. International students awarded assistance can assume that level of aid will continue during the four years at Carleton. However, you should not assume that increased aid will be available in subsequent years. With this in mind, aid applications after the first year are not required. But, the Certification of Finances is required each year to renew your visa status.