Class of 2014 Profile: What class members have done
From this class, you could meet someone who:
- Has trained and competed professionally in Kuchipudi dance (a classical Indian form)
- Interned in the jewelry department of Christie’s auction house in Paris
- Was bagpipe captain and president of an all-female Kilties Drum and Bugle Corps
- Served on Dave Eggers’ Best American Nonrequired Reading Committee
- Walked 714km (443.7 miles) across northern Spain on the Camino de Santiago
- Participates in Civil War reenactments
- Apprenticed with a carpenter for a summer
- Won the Portland Rose Festival Dragon Boat Race with a team she co-founded and co-captained
- Served as a plainclothes military policeman in Singapore’s armed forces for two years
The Class of 2014 includes six Eagle Scouts, 11 Girl Scout Gold or Silver Award recipients, and three 4-H Club Leaders. In addition, someone in the class spent three summers volunteering with reforestation and fair trade projects in Guatemala, and another helped provide care for migrant workers with the South Georgia Farmworker Health Project.
While in high school, members of the class conducted several impressive research projects. Someone:
- Designed and implemented research on the effects of fertilizer on phytoremediative (oil-degrading) activity in bluegreen algae.
- Utilized molecular anthropology to analyze human migration patterns as an intern at the American Museum of Natural History.
- Studied marine biology while living on a catamaran in the British Virgin Islands.
Someone in the class speaks:
What's In a Name?
Someone in the class belonged to:
- The Horror Movie Appreciation Club
- Grrrr, a student cheer section
- The Butterbeer Bandits, a quidditch team
- Primes, a group dedicated to learning number theory
- The Darkside, an Ultimate Frisbee team
- The Super High Mileage Club, dedicated to creating a car that gets high miles-per-gallon and uses alternative fuels