Woohoo! Yesterday, I went on a hard-hat tour of the soon-to-be-finished Weitz Center for Creativity. It is going to be awe-some! I had no idea how many new and updated resources we'll have at our fingertips:
- in addition to the beefed-up rehearsal and classroom spaces for theater and dance, there will be brand spankin' new spaces for cinema, theater, and dance
- not only will we have additional post-production space for Cinema and Media Studies, but we'll also have a gorgeous new production suite
- our profs, who are routinely named the best teachers in the country, will have additional office space for conversation and collaboration
- our Idea Lab, inspired by Apple's Genius Bar, will be home to experts in a variety of technology resources
- the Perlman Center for Learning and Teaching, which we mentioned last week in the post "Enrichment," will have expanded spaces for cutting-edge interdisciplinary innovation
One thing I love about the Weitz Center is that it's not just for people who hold a Carleton ID card. Yesterday on our tour, Steve Richardson emphasized that many of the events at the Weitz Center will be open to the general public. How cool is that? I can't wait until this fall when the Weitz Center's first major production, Shakespeare's The Tempest, will open on stage.
- Jaime Anthony '06, Assistant Dean of Admissions