A Prismatic Archaeological Tour of Sri Lanka
- January 25th through February 8th, 2012
- Registration deadline: October 1st, 2011
- Capacity: 29
- Cost: $3600.00 (plus airfare)
Join archaeology professor Nancy Wilkie on a 15-day adventure to Sri Lanka, a spectacular island in the Indian Ocean. Sri Lanka has amazing sites of immense historical and archaeological significance. Its archaeology mainly focuses on the preservation of cultural assets, including gigantic stupas. These hemispherical domes surmounted with spires, palatial structures made of stone, all bear muted testimony to the epic history of this incredible island. The history of Sri Lanka spans 2000+ years. Times of wars, events of religious significance, coups and alliances with foreign elements color the history of "Serendib" as Sri Lanka was historically known. Come and be enthralled by these wonderful archaeological and cultural sites, seven of which are also UNESCO World Heritage Sites!
For the detailed trip itinerary, please see the trip brochure in the blue box on the right. High points include:
- Dambulla (caves*)
- Kandy (Temple of the Tooth*)
- Nuwara Eliya
- Horton Plains*
*denotes a UNESCO World Heritage Site
Price is per person double occupancy, based on group size:
$3600 15-19 travelers
$3525 20-24 travelers
$3400 25-29 travelers
$950 Single Supplement
Please note that these prices are an estimate and may change when the 2012 hotel rates are finalized.
- Airport meet, greet, pick-up, drop off and transport for the travel as per the program.
- The expertise of a Carleton faculty member.
- Accompanying English-speaking tour escort.
- Meal Plan - FULL BOARD (Breakfast, lunch and dinner).
- Welcome cocktail reception on the day of arrival.
- Farewell dinner at Colombo.
- Air-conditioned vehicle (full a/c tourist coach) throughout the tour.
- Bottled water in the bus.
- Entrance fees to places of visits as per the program (except optional stops)
- Local transport tuk-tuk, jeeps wherever needed.
- Tips & other gratuities.
- All currently applicable government taxes and levies.
The rates include only the services listed above and those mentioned in the attached itinerary. The rates
do not include:
- Items of a personal nature such as cost of telephone calls, table drinks, laundry etc.
- Any international air fares, visa charges, airport taxes on departure.
If the tour is cancelled
At least 120 days prior to trip start date $200
119-90 days prior to trip start date Deposit is forfeited
89-45 days prior to trip start date 50% of tour cost
Less than 45 days prior to trip start date Full tour cost
Nancy Wilkie is a distinguished archaeologist and professor who has lectured on numerous study programs throughout the world, ncluding many to Sri Lanka. Nancy is the William H. Laird Professor of Classics, Anthropology, and the Liberal Arts, and Co-Director of the Archaeology Concentration at Carleton College in Northfield, MN, where she has been on the faculty since 1974. A graduate of Stanford University (1964), Nancy received her M.A. and Ph.D. (1975) from the University of Minnesota. She began her archaeological career in 1968 when she joined a pioneering program of survey and excavation in the region of the Palace of Nestor at Pylos in Greece. Since then Nancy has worked on archaeological projects in Greece, Egypt, and Nepal, and has authored more than 30 articles and co-edited three books on archaeology. Nancy is currently a member of the Cultural Property Advisory Committee of the U.S. Department of State. This committee advises the President on requests from foreign governments for import restrictions on their antiquities under the 1970 UNESCO Convention on the Means of Prohibiting and Preventing the Illicit Import, Export and Transfer of Cultural Property.
TOUR OPERATOR: INDEBO
Contact Becky Zrimsek '89 at the Alumni Relations Office: 800-729-2586 (general office line) or 507-222-4206 (direct line) or by e-mail at bzrimsek@@carleton.edu.