Volunteer Expense Policy
In accordance with Carleton College policy, volunteers may receive gift credit and/or reimbursement of expenses incurred while conducting College business. Donated expenses will be treated as unrestricted gifts to the Alumni Annual Fund; they cannot be used to fulfill existing pledges.
Volunteers are strongly encouraged to contribute their expenses. However, the College does not wish to limit the participation of any volunteer because of financial restrictions. Alumni engagement is important to the College. Our goal is to ensure that all volunteers can participate in CAVE, not necessarily to cover all the costs associated with attendance. Please note that you will need to pay up front for your travel expenses associated with CAVE.
You can donate or be reimbursed for the following expenses:
- Air Travel: The cost of your three-week advance-purchase round-trip coach airfare. We encourage you to purchase the lowest available airfare from your home city. We have a general guideline cap of $400 for fares, but recognize that from some cities' fares may be higher. Contact staff if you have any questions.
- Transportation between the Minneapolis/St. Paul airport and campus: Round-trip cost of transportation up to $100. We encourage volunteers to carpool when possible.
- Car Travel: Mileage between your home and campus at 14 cents per mile (the IRS-approved rate for volunteers), or the cost of a three-week advance-purchase round-trip coach airfare, whichever is less.
The following are considered ineligible expenses for donation/reimbursement. However, you may be able to deduct these types of expenses on your taxes:
- Travel to/from the airport from your home; airport parking
- Lodging en route to a meeting (if you drive long-distance to campus)
- Food and beverages en route, or other than those provided during the business portion of the on-campus meeting
- Airline fees for checked baggage
- Mileage, if you’ve rented a car (mileage is included in the cost of the rental)
- Care arrangements for children or pets
- Gifts for hosts (e.g., if you stay with friends or relatives)
Please note that the IRS requires original receipts for all expenses for the College to be able to credit you with a donation or process a reimbursement. Unfortunately, this means that faxed or emailed copies of receipts are not sufficient. We would appreciate receiving your expense statement within 30 days.
To donate your expenses or receive reimbursement, complete the Statement of Volunteer Expenses (available at the Registration Desk and online at www.go.carleton.edu/cave) and return with your receipts to:
Carleton College Alumni Annual Fund
One North College Street
Northfield, MN 55057