- Carleton combines in a single department the creative aspects of art making and the study of art as an historical discipline.
- Cinema and Media Studies (CAMS) combines the critical study of film and media with hands-on experience in digital video and audio production, screenwriting, digital photography and graphic design.
- While an English major still begins with the study of works of fiction, poetry, and drama from the British and American traditions, we also explore the shifting nature of these traditions by examining American regional, African American, Irish, post colonial, Native American, and Asian American literatures.
- The Department of Music offers a curriculum that balances performance, composition, theory, history, and ethnomusicology. Students of all levels of musical ability are encouraged to explore music at Carleton.
- The Department of Theater and Dance offers courses in each of the major areas of interest. Theater offerings include acting, voice, movement, directing, design-technical, and performance as well as courses in literature, history and criticism. Dance activities give students at all levels opportunities for active participation in three basic areas: technique, choreography and analysis, and performance.