NORTHFIELD, Minn. – In its final competition before the conference championships, the Carleton College men’s track and field team hosted cross-town rival St. Olaf College for the annual Rolex Classic. The Knights won 10 of the 18 events contested during this year’s two-day competition.
In keeping with tradition and the congenial relationship between the two squads, the meet’s winner was determined by random selection of a single event after the completion of competition. This year, the pole vault was selected as the all-important event, which St. Olaf’s Aaron Shinn won with a vault of 14 and a half feet.
Sophomore Marcus Huderle (Eden Prairie, Minn.) opened the two-day Rolex Classic with a stellar performance in the 3000-meter steeplechase. He posted a time of 9:15.55, which is the fastest in the MIAC since 2008 and ranks No. 15 across NCAA Division III this season.
Huderle cut more than 14 seconds off his personal record and moves from 10th to fourth on Carleton’s all-time list in the event. He surpassed six former Knights who competed over a span of five decades: Dave Walz ’79, Mark Johnson ’85, Mike McLaughlin ’89, Joel Wegener ’96, Quentin Kennedy ’09, and John Davis ’11.
Huderle’s incredible sophomore outdoor season already included PR's in the 800- (1:55.84), 1500- (3:59.96), and 5000-meter runs (15:08.93) in addition to his mark in the steeplechase. He ranks in the top-10 in the MIAC is all four events. He also anchored Carleton's distance medley relay last weekend at the Drake Relays with 4:16 split for the 1600-meter distance.
In the 200-meter dash on Tuesday, Carleton assistant coach and Olympic gold medalist Andrew Rock recorded a winning time of 21.44. The Knights’ Garo Anguiano-Sainz (Fy./Chico, Calif./Chico) was the first current student-athlete to the tape at 22.66.
Other winners for the Knights:
- 100-meter dash – Colby Seyferth (Fy./Banks, Ore./Banks) at 11.28.
- 400-meter dash – Isaac Schrantz (Fy./Owatonna, Minn./Owatonna) in 50.86.
- 4x100-meter relay – 44.09
- 110-meter hurdles – Adrian Carpenter (So./Menlo Park, Calif./Menlo Atherton) at 15.52
- 400-meter hurdles – Michael Austin (Jr./Miami, Fla./Coral Gables) at 58.23
- Long jump – Evan McNeil (Fy./Burnsville, Minn./Academy of Holy Angels) at 6.06 meters (19 feet, 10.75 inches)
- Discus – Ben Langfeldt (Sr./Dennison, Minn./Northfield) at 40.57 meters (133 feet, 1 inch)
- Javelin – Robert Wakeley (Sr./Kenmore, Wash./Northwest) at 48.97 meters (160 feet, 8 inches)
Seyferth, McNeil, C.J. Dale (Jr./Fox Island, Wash./Charles Wright Academy), and Dylan Cheever (Jr./Minneapolis, Minn./Southwest) will take part in the MIAC Decathlon on Thursday-Friday, May 3-4. The balance of the MIAC Outdoor Track and Field Championships will be held the following weekend at Concordia College in Moorhead, Minn.