ACT and Your Classes
Academic-Civic Engagement (ACE)
For information about courses that incorporate service- or community-based learning, visit our Academic Civic Engagement page.
Many students focus their Comps on Northfield or another community, and often they conduct research in that community. Service projects can also be a part of this. Examples:
- Eberley Wedlake '07 interviewed members of the Northfield Latino community for her Sociology Comps.
- Cary Tiernan '07 researched Northfield Latino connections to Mexico for his Political Science Comps.
- Brennan Taylor '07 lived with and talked to members of the Tuareg community in northern Mali over the summer for her History Comps.
- A group of Computer Science majors created a website with information on Carleton's Wind Turbine.
For more information on ACE Comps projects, visit the ACE Website's Comps Page.
ACT and Your Major
Many ACT Programs provide a great way to pursue an interest within your major or concentration! Also we can help you gain experience for your resume. For example...
- Biology Major or ENTS Concentrator? Check out our Environment & Sustainability programs!
- Studying SOAN, Psych or Educational Studies? You might like Youth, Youth Tutoring, or Community Companionship programs!
- Doing Pre-Med? Look into our Health programs!
- Studying IR or Cross-Cultural Studies? We have Global & Cross-Cultural programs too!
- American Studies or Women's & Gender Studies? Our Social, Economic & Gender Justice programs may be of interest!
Want to pursue other interests? Volunteering with ACT is a great way to branch out and pursue other interests, or even discover what your interests are! Check out our Programs page.