The Prefect Program is administered by the
Academic Support Center
LaGuardia Community College's Academic Peer Instruction Reference and Training Manual is a gold mine of specific strategies and resources that prefects can use, including how to promote active and collaborative learning in sessions, integrate visuals, redirect questions, promote diversity in sessions, etc.
- Program mission, prefect job description, people involved in the program, and fast facts about the program.
- Before the term starts, tasks to accomplish during the first week, more about your first few sessions, more about creating an email distribution list and your Excel attendance spreadsheet, and confidentiality.
- How people learn, Bloom's taxonomy, Edgar Dale's Cone of Learning, collaboratie learning, and a few ways to promote active learning in your sessions.
- The prefect's dilemma, feedback, learning skills, nomenclature, and problem-solving strategies.
- Large review sessions, working with the course professor, working with students in the course, campus resources, and referring students to other campus resources.