Web Time Entry for Supervisors
Bi-weekly staff enter and submit hours worked for supervisor approval using a web-based process called Web Time Entry. Instructions for reviewing and approving employee time follow:
- Go to The Hub and enter your Carleton User ID and password. Under the section labeled “Time Entry and Approval,” select “Time Approval (for supervisors)” to access employee time sheets.
- The “Review Entry” column box is automatically checked for employees who have time entered for approval. Total hours worked is in the far right column, you should review the detailed “Time Entry” screen in order to verify total hours worked and leave hours taken for the pay period. The detailed “Time Entry” screen will display for each employee record checked. If you want to review only one employee “Time Entry” screen you will need to click off the “Review Entry” box for all but the one employee you wish to review. Click “Submit” to move to the detail screen.
- To review detail time in and time out data, click on the box above the supervisor authorization section.
- A supervisor has the authority to change times entered by an employee. We strongly suggest that you discuss changes directly with your employee, and/or provide a comment in the “Supervisor Comments” box. Your employee will always receive a message that you have changed their time.
- To approve a timesheet, choose “Approve” in the “Supervisor Decision” drop down box, and click on “Submit.”
- Rejecting a time sheet starts the approval process over for both the employee and supervisor. If the approval deadline is near, we recommend you change and approve the time as needed vs. rejecting the time. Use the “Supervisor Comments” box to provide an e-mail explanation for your changes. If you reject the timesheet, you must enter text in the “E-mail Subject” box and/or in the “Supervisor Comments” box. Text in these boxes will be sent to the employee by e-mail.
- Employees must enter their time by Noon on the Monday following the end of the pay period. You will get an e-mail reminder when it’s time to approve your employees’ time sheets. For Bi-weekly Staff you will have until 11:59p.m. on Monday to approve the time sheets. For Students you have until Noon on Tuesday to approve the time sheets. You can review time sheets from any where you have access to the internet.
- At any time during the payroll period you can review and edit the timesheet of any employee for which you are listed as the supervisor or alternate supervisor. The employee will receive an e-mail message indicating that you have changed their time.
- Every employee will have two supervisors listed in the system – a supervisor and an alternate. Either or both supervisors may review, edit, approve or reject a timesheet.
Where do I find the Payroll calendar?
The payroll calendar is available on the Business Office website at http://apps.carleton.edu/campus/business/payroll/
What if an employee worked in an earlier pay period but didn’t record all her/his hours and now the timesheet is not accessible?
The supervisor will need to contact the Payroll Office in the Business Office, to obtain a paper timesheet for that pay period. The employee or the supervisor will need to manually enter the hours, obtain the supervisor’s signature, and return the paper timesheet to Payroll in the Business Office. Payment will be made in the next regular payroll. Chronic failure to report time on a timely basis may affect future employment.
What if an employee entered her/his time on the wrong position?
During the pay period and before the employee has checked the box to submit her/his hours for supervisor approval the employee can delete the incorrect time and enter it on the correct timesheet.
If the employee has submitted the timesheet and the supervisor has not yet approved it, the supervisor can reject the timesheet so the employee can enter it on the correct position or the supervisor may correct the timesheet directly.
If the employee and the supervisor both approved the hours for payment the supervisor can contact Payroll in the Business Office to request a correction so that the proper budget is charged for the pay.
What if I don’t see all the positions listed for those who report to me?
If a current position is not listed that person or position may not have been assigned to WTE. Contact the Student Financial Services Office for assistance with Student Positions or the Human Resources Office for assistance with all other bi-weekly positions.
When I look at the detailed hours screen I don’t see the total hours I am approving? Where is that listed?
The total hours for the pay period are listed on the summary screen where each position is listed on one line. The far right column lists total hours.