Student Health Insurance
In order to ensure students have access to healthcare at all times, Carleton College requires all enrolled students to carry health insurance. If you do not have health insurance, Carleton expects that you will enroll in the Student Injury & Sickness Plan through USI Affinity Collegiate Insurance Resources for coverage from August 15, 2013 through August 15, 2014 at a cost of $940. If you have health insurance, you may choose to waive (decline) coverage in the Student Health Plan. Please waive or enroll in the health insurance plan by August 15, 2013. ALL STUDENTS MUST GO THROUGH THIS INSURANCE PROCESS EVERY YEAR, WHETHER DECLINING OR ENROLLING, AND IT CAN ONLY BE COMPLETED ONLINE.
All international students or exchange visitors who will attend Carleton College on F, J, or other visa status MUST purchase and enroll in the Student Injury & Sickness Plan.
INSTRUCTIONS FOR WAIVING (DECLINING) OR ENROLLING:
Go to the Collegiate Insurance Resources website between June 4, 2013 and August 15, 2013. Note: You will need your Carleton login, username, and student ID to log onto the insurance website. (To find your student ID #, log into The Hub then click on "Name and Address" where you will find your ID number.)
To Waive (Decline): If you are currently covered under an insurance plan and do not desire additional coverage, you MUST waive (decline) coverage in the Student Insurance Plan before August 15, 2013, or the NON-REFUNDABLE premium of $940 will automatically be added to your Fall term student account. Please click on the "Health Insurance Enrollment/Waive" tab and choose "Waive Enrollment." Continue onto the next page and have your insurance card/ information available to complete the insurance waive (decline) process.
- Before you decline coverage, review your current insurance plan to make sure you are covered while at college.
- If you are going to participate in varsity athletics you must have $90,000 (minimum) in athletic injury insurance. This is not covered by the basic student plan and will require additional premium for the student-athlete. Please see the athlete insurance information.
- All international students or exchange visitors who will attend Carleton College on F, J, or other visa status MUST purchase and enroll in the Carleton Student Injury & Sickness Plan.
- Bring a copy of your health insurance card to Carleton for reference when you need to utilize health care facilities.
To Enroll: If you do not have insurance coverage you can enroll in the Student Injury and Sickness Plan. Click on the “Health Insurance Enroll/Waive” tab and choose “Confirm Enrollment”. The website will guide you through the steps to confirm your enrollment. The premium of $940 can be paid with a credit card, online ACH payment, or applied to your student account.
- Do not forget to print your ID card at the end of the enrollment process. Bring it to Carleton and to all medical appointments.
- If you need financial assistance with the enrollment cost, contact the Student Financial Aid Office at 507-222-4138.
- If you are an international student and need assistance, contact the Office of Intercultural & International Life (OIIL) at 1-507-222-4451.
- For questions about the plan, contact Collegiate Insurance Resources online or by phone (1-800-322-9901).
Please consider these important issues when choosing to waive or enroll:
- Health service beyond general diagnosis and treatment of minor illness or accident provided by Student Health and Counseling is not included in the comprehensive fee of the College. Specifically, all labs, x-rays, most pharmaceuticals, office visits and specialist referrals at the local health clinics or hospital are billed to your insurance company.
- Many home-based HMO plans do not provide adequate coverage outside of your home area. In addition, if you are considering study abroad options, you may not be covered under your current policy.
- The College strongly recommends that families, prior to declining participation in the Student Injury and Sickness Insurance Plan, review their health insurance policies to ensure that their coverage provides equal or better benefits and that they are covered in the Northfield, MN area.
Parents/Guardians: Discuss your insurance plan with your child so they understand customary fees and procedures expected at the time of care.
Every student athlete participating in intercollegiate or club sports at Carleton College must be covered under an insurance policy that will cover sports related injuries.
- The NCAA requires varsity athletes participating in intercollegiate athletics to carry athletic injury insurance of at least $90,000. Check with your current insurance company to make sure you have the required $90,000 coverage for athletic injuries. To acknowledge you have athletic injury insurance of at least $90,000, complete the required Sports Participation Agreement and Injury Insurance Acknowledgment Form online.
- Varsity athletes who do not have athletic injury insurance of at least $90,000 must purchase the Student Injury and Sickness Insurance Plan AND the add-on Athletic Injury Insurance. ACKNOWLEDGEMENT OF ATHLETIC INSURANCE MUST BE COMPLETED BEFORE ATHLETES ARE ALLOWED TO PRACTICE.
- Purchasing the add-on Athletic Injury Insurance is optional for club sport athletes, but the Student Injury and Sickness Insurance plan only covers the first $500 of a club-sport injury.
- To purchase athletic injury insurance for intercollegiate or club sport participation, you must purchase the Student Injury and Sickness Insurance Plan AND add-on the Athletic Injury Insurance. Enroll online Collegiate Insurance Resources. Click on the “Health Insurance Enroll/Waive” tab and enroll in the Student Injury and Sickness Insurance plan. When prompted to do so during the enrollment process, select the appropriate athletic injury coverage for your sport(s).
- The athletic injury insurance plan will pay 100% up to $90,000 per injury. The cost is $614 for football, basketball, soccer, baseball or softball (when an athlete purchases one or more of these sports, all club sports, will be covered.) The cost is $306 for all other varsity sports. The cost for equestrian, field hockey, ice hockey, lacrosse, rugby, Nordic skiing, and Karate is $614 per club sport. If an athlete purchases one or more of these club sports, all other club sports are covered. Other club sports including Aikido and Tae Kwon Do are $306.
- Intramural sports and gym classes are covered under the basic Student Injury and Sickness Insurance Plan.
If you have additional questions about the plan, contact Collegiate Insurance Resources online or by phone 1-800-322-9901.