Student Activities Office
Upcoming Events & Highlights
- 2014-2015 Employment Opportunities with New Student Week (NSW) and the Student Activities Programming Board (SAPB): Click here for more information and to apply!
- Spring Concert DJ Applications: Click here to apply, applications close April 30th 5:00 p.m.!
- Senior Week Survey 2014. Click here to provide input.
- Hamlet at The Guthrie Theater: Saturday, April 26th Click here to sign up!* WAIT LIST ONLY*
- Rosencrantz and Guildenstern are Dead at The Guthrie Theater: Saturday, May 3 Click here to sign up! ** WAIT LIST ONLY**
- Design the 2014 Spring Concert t shirt! Click here for more details, submissions are due April 30th, 5:00 p.m.!
- Metro Access Fund Proposals click here to apply!
- Calling all Artists! The Sayles-Hill Art Display is now accepting application! Click here to submit your proposal.
- Learn How to Make Change at Carleton on Sunday, May 4th! Attend workshops hosted by several organizations on campus to learn how to make an impact! Click here to sign up.
- Table and Banner reservations available online. Click here for more information
- Battle of the Bands: Click here to register your band to compete in the semi-finals!
Welcome to the Student Activities Office! We hope you find our site helpful as a student, faculty/staff member, alumnus/a or guest. The office plays an integral role in supporting and carrying forth the educational mission of the College by providing programs and services that build a sense of community and enhance the quality of campus life.
In addition to the Student Activities Office, the Sayles-Hill Campus Center is home to a variety of offices and services, including the Carleton Student Association (CSA), Carletonian (student-run newspaper), KRLX 88.1 FM, Career Center, Center for Community and Civic Engagement (CCCE), Security Services, Information Desk, Post Office, Campus Services, Carleton Bookstore, Sayles Cafe, a computer lab, a variety of meeting rooms, and a TV Lounge with billiard tables.
The Student Activities Office does a little bit of everything, including planning programs and events and assisting student organizations. If you have an idea for an event or would like assistance starting a new student organization, we can help.
Statement of Purpose:
The Student Activities Office develops and coordinates a variety of social, recreational, cultural, and developmental programs and services. In conjunction with The Student Activities Programming Board (SAPB) and The Carleton Student Association (CSA), we offer and support programs and services designed to challenge beliefs, educate others, inspire the individual, entertain the soul, and create a sense of campus community and pride.
What We Do:
Support student organizations and events:
- Advise a variety of student organizations including Carleton's Academic Teams (Model UN, Mock Trial, Academic Quiz Team, Forensics/Speech and Debate)
- Advise the Student Activities Programming Board (SAPB)
- Support the Carleton Student Association (CSA)
- Advise and assist student coordinated events
- Support The Cave, KRLX, and The Student Union Movie Organization (SUMO), and the Student Band Room in Goodhue
- Coordinate the Student Organization Fair
- Coordinate the registration process for student initiated events
- Provide a variety of workshops designed to assist student organizations with a variety of topics, including tips on planning an event, risk management and fine-tuning their leadership skills
Sponsor (or co-sponsor) major events:
- New Student Week
- Student Organization Fair
- Halloween Dance & Costume Contest
- The Golden Schillers (with PEPS)
- MidWinter Ball
- Spring Concert
- Senior Week
- End of Term Study Breaks (with the Gould Library)
- Many one-time/impromptu events, such Ice Skating at The Depot or Apple Picking here in Northfield
Support the Sayles-Hill Campus Center:
- Submit work requests
- Provide long-term vision for the facility
- Manage equipment and furniture needs
- Work with students, faculty, and staff in addressing common concerns related to the facility
- Noon News Bulletin (NNB): The NNB is published Monday/Wednesday/Friday and is available in the dining halls and at the newspaper rack in Sayles-Hill. It is also available online on the Student Activities website in PDF format. For text and print ad information click here.
- The Lagniappe (student planner): The Lagniappe is produced spring term for the following year. Submissions for 2014-2015 will be open until Friday, May 9, 2014, click here.