Informal reviews are conducted for junior faculty members on an accelerated tenure schedule (determined by the Dean in consultation with the department and faculty member at the time of hire). Since these reviews are departmentally based, there is no set timeline. Procedures to follow when conducting an informal review are listed below. Samples and forms you may find helpful when conducting an informal review are also included. Please contact the Dean of the College if you have questions.
- The timing of the review is generally the second year of the faculty member's appointment, and should occur within one academic year. Class visits may occur earlier if a person is on leave.
- Determine who will participate in the review (i.e. all tenured members of department – if someone is off campus what will their participation be?).
- Request a prospectus from the candidate of up to 5,500 words.
- Request a c.v. from the candidate.
- Conduct class visits – at least two and no more than five classes (fewer rather than more in large departments) per person.
- Obtain student input/evaluations.
- Questionnaires (please make sure it is clear that the students will also be polled at the time of tenure review), or
- Informal meetings between department members and representative students who have taken the candidate’s courses or worked with the candidate, or
- Course evaluations submitted by the candidate.
- Meet with the review committee to discuss the review and what should go into the final committee letter. Consider the progress the candidate is making on scholarship, based either on the work itself or on what is listed on the c.v.
- The chair of the informal review will draft a committee letter addressed to the candidate that reflects the input of all review committee members who participated in the review. Be sure to include any concerns, areas for improvement, etc. Discuss this letter with the involved faculty and the candidate, and modify if necessary.
- Forward a copy of the final version of the committee letter to the Dean of the College. This letter will not become part of the faculty member’s tenure dossier.
- Schedule a meeting with the Dean, Chair of the informal review, and the candidate to discuss the candidate’s informal review and its outcome.
Click here for a SAMPLE INFORMAL REVIEW LETTER TO CANDIDATE
Click here for the RECORD OF SENIOR COLLEAGUES' VISITS FORM
Click here for the RECORD OF SENIOR COLLEAGUES' REVIEW OF SUPPORTING MATERIALS FORM