Toni Award in the Arts
The Carleton Toni Award in the Arts is given to a Carleton student whose character reflects the values, devotion, and spirit of beloved teacher Antoinette "Toni" Sostek. After a distinguished career in dance, including Broadway and national television, Toni joined her husband in the academic world, and spent 25 years as a dance instructor at Carleton before her passing in 1996. Through the metaphor of dance, Toni taught many important lessons in life, especially that every moment in every class was a stage in the long--indeed, never ending--learning process.
This photograph of Toni (upper right) exemplifies her devotion to dance beyond technique: love, enthusiasm, and joy. As a teacher she brought her devotion to the classroom, and most importantly, shared her passion for dance with her students, "ugly ducklings" and all. It is that combination of devotion, and willingness to share one's art, that best defines the Carleton Toni Award.
The Arts can include, for instance, Studio Art; Cinema and Media Studies; Creative Writing; Music; Theater and Dance.
A cash prize is awarded annually (amount is determined by the spendable income generated by the endowed fund). Winners have unrestricted control over the spending of their awards.
- Nomination (unsolicited) by a member of the Carleton faculty or staff;
- Full-time Carleton student;
- Senior or junior standing;
- Nominee embodies Toni's spirit through the sharing of artistic expression, which best reflects the essence of Toni Sostek's teaching;
- Nominee need not be an art major or art star, but someone who loves a particular art form, who throws him or herself into it, who lives and breathes it, and who infectiously imparts that enthusiasm to others.
- Previous winners are ineligible;
- Non-winners or runners-up may be re-nominated in subsequent years.
Any member of the Carleton faculty or staff is invited to submit a nomination. Nominations should be emailed to Karen Moldenhauer, Dean of the College Office/Office of Student Fellowships. We will confirm the nomination with the student.
If the nominee wishes to pursue the award opportunity, he or she must secure two letters of support: one from the original nominator, and one from a faculty member or artistic mentor other than the nominator. Letters of support can be addressed to the Committee for Studies in the Arts, and emailed or campus-mailed to Karen Moldenhauer, 3-DOC, by Friday, March 18, 2016. (If the second recommender is not a member of the Carleton community, the nominee should supply the recommender's name, physical and email addresses, and phone number.)
The Committee for Studies in the Arts (consisting of Carleton faculty representatives from among the English, theater, dance, music, media studies, and art departments) select up to five (5) award finalists by weighing the letters of nomination and support. The Toni Award Selection Committee will interview the finalists (see below), and will notify them of the results shortly thereafter.
Deadline for Nomination and Letter of Support
Friday, March 18, 2016, 5:00 PM, Dean of the College Office, Laird 131.
- Interviews will be Saturday, April 9, 2016, from 9:30 AM to 12 Noon, in Sayles Hill Lounge
George Shuffelton, Associate Dean of the College, Laird 131, x4300