Custodial Sustainable Initiatives
Prepared by: Patti Sabrowski, Custodial Supervisor
Our Intent: To reduce the environmental impacts of cleaning products, disposable janitorial paper products, and trash bags.
Our Plan: To use a cleaning product line for our staff and students that honors the environment, personal health and wellness, and the natural ecological balance.
Custodial Cleaning Products
Eco Concepts. All of the following products carry these seals of approval: Designed for the Environment, US EPA; Green Seal Certified; Carpet and Rug Institute; Canada’s Environmental Choice Program’s; and U.S. General Services Administration.
- Neutral Disinfectant Cleaner
- Neutral Floor and Hard Surface Cleaner
- Restroom, Tile and Grout Cleaner
- Glass and Window Cleaner
- High Performance Carpet Pre-Spray
- Carpet Extraction Cleaner
Student Use Cleaning Products
The Green Works line made by Clorox is supplied for student use. All products have the EPA’S Design for the Environment US approval except for the Disinfecting Bathroom Cleaner.
- Green Works Natural Glass and Surface Cleaner
- Green Works Natural Bathroom Cleaner
These products are made of: plant derived cleaning agents, essential lemon oils, corn-based alcohol, earth base minerals, and filtered water. The ingredients are biodegradable and made form renewable resources. Other products we are planning to implement are Eco Concepts Graffiti Remover and High Performance Cleaner and Degreaser. Both of theses products have the EPA’s Design for the Environment Program.
Georgia Pacific Green by Design. Georgia Pacific is committed to delivering products that make a difference for the planet and its customers. Supporting the U.S. Environment Protection Agency, GP is leading the industry in reducing, reusing and recycling for a healthier environment. Products we are using:
- GP MAX 2000 Unbleached Roll Towel
- GP Bigfold Folded Paper Towel
- GP Compact Coreless 2-ply Bath Tissue
- GP Brawny Industrial Medium Wiper
All Products are post consumer based and EPA compliant. To be EPA compliant you must have a minimum of 40% recycled content on roll towels and 20% recycled content on bath tissue. Post consumer fiber is recovered fiber that has been successfully used by a consumer for its intended purpose, has been successfully recovered through a waste collection or recycling program, and is once again being utilized as material used in making a new product. ‘Recycled fiber content' means those materials and by-products that have been recovered by the manufacturer and have never been in the hands of the consumer.
We will continue to research products that are 100% recycled and could require a change in our current dispensing systems which are not reusable.
Hand Soap and Sanitizer
- Green Certified Foam Hand Soap – Colorless and fragrance free with a 100% recyclable container.
- Hand Sanitizer - Foaming, non aerosol, dye-free product made of Ethyl alcohol as the active ingredient. This product is not considered to be green due to the alcohol in it.
- Trash/Compost Liners - Leed/EPA certified- Disposable trash bags meet the minimum requirements of one or more of the following programs applicable product categories:
US EPA Comprehensive Procurement Guidelines for Janitorial Paper and Plastic trash can liners.
- EcoSafe 6400™ Compostable Bags - Engineered specifically for the collection of organic waste disposal and commercial composting. Heat and moisture accelerates the degradation process. All EcoSafe 6400™ Compostable products meet the stringent requirements of ASTM D6400 and carry the USCC and BPI certifications. Commercial degradation is 10 to 45 days and biodegradation is less than 6 months. They can be used for composting, organic waste, and are landfill friendly.