Welcome New Employees
Prior To Your First Day
All new employees are required to contact Human Resources at (507) 222-5989 to schedule an appointment. If you are eligible for benefits, you will receive a packet containing employment and benefit documents. Please review this information and feel free to complete any forms. The remainder of the forms will be completed during your appointment.
Please complete the Personnel Information Form at least one week prior to your start date. This information will be used by the Human Resources Office to set you up in the College database system. Please Note: If you are a Dining Services employee, please contact Bon Appetit directly; do not fill out the Personnel Information Form.
Documents Required For Your Appointment With HR
I-9 (Immigration Reform and Control Act): Within three days of your start date, you must provide the necessary proof of your eligibility for employment in the U.S. This is mandatory before you begin working. Listed below are examples of accepted documents. All documents must be unexpired. Click here to view the I-9 form.
|EXAMPLE OF ACCEPTABLE DOCUMENTS|
Documents that establish both identity and employment eligibility
Documents that establish identity
Documents that establish employment eligibility
|1. U.S. Passport or U.S. Passport Card||or||1. Driver’s License or ID Card issued by a state or outlying possession of the United States provided it contains a photograph or information such as name, date of birth, gender, height, eye color and address.||and||1. Social Security Account Number Card other than one that specifies on the face that the issuance of the card does not authorize employment in the United States.|
|2. Permanent Resident Card or Alien Registration Receipt Card (Form I-551)||or||2. I.D. Card issued by federal, state, or local government agencies or entities, provided it contains a photograph or information such as name, date of birth, gender, height, eye color, and address.||and||2. Certification of Birth Abroad issued by the Department of State (Form FS-545)|
|3. Foreign passport that contains a temporary I-551 stamp or temporary I-551 printed notation on a machine-readable immigrant visa.||3. School ID card with a photograph.||2. Certification of Report of Birth issued by the Department of State (Form DS-1350)|
Direct Deposit Documents: Payroll is paid through direct deposit only. Please note the requirements below.
- Checking account: A voided check is required.
- Savings account: A voided deposit slips is required.
Please Note: You may have up to three separate accounts.
Motor Vehicle Report Release Waiver: A driver’s license would be required for completion of this form. If you are not a licensed driver, please disregard this.
Other Odds and Ends Regarding Employment at Carleton
- Parking at Carleton College: Complete and submit your vehicle registration card to Security Service (Sayles Hill 205) to obtain your vehicle visor tag.
- Get a One Card: One Cards are available through Campus Services (Sayles Hill 5) any time Monday through Friday, 8:30 a.m. – 4:30 p.m. (no appointment is necessary).
- Access your Email (Zimbra or Outlook): Please contact Rapid Response (x5999)
- Get Keys: Contact the Maintenance Department (x4133).
- Visit The Hub: The Hub is where you will go to obtain your pay advice (pay stub). It also provides information on your personal directory information, elective benefits and deductions, annualized compensation summary, taxes, etc. You will also have the opportunity to provide your consent to receive your W-2 electronically, which will give you access to this document sooner than a printed W-2. Log in to The Hub by using your user name and password.
- View Information on Emergency Preparedness: Carleton's Emergency Preparedness Plan addresses appropriate preparation for and response to life-threatening campus or city-wide emergencies.
- Complete the FERPA Tutorial (Mandatory Training): FERPA stands for Family Educational Rights and Privacy Act (sometimes called the Buckley Amendment). Passed by Congress in 1974, the Act grants rights to students.
- Attend mandatory training on Sexual Misconduct Prevention and Minnesota Employee Right to Know (MERTKA/Asbestos training). Email announcements will advise of upcoming dates when these training sessions will be held, as well as registration directions.
- View Information on HIPAA (Health Insurance Portability and Accountability Act): This policy and practice is established to protect the confidentiality of your private health information. If you, as a new hire, will be a supervisor of staff employees, a separate, mandatory training session will be sent to you electronically to complete.
- Familiarize Yourself with the Staff Handbook: If you are a new faculty member, please visit the Faculty Handbook. Click here to view the staff handbook.
- Web Time Entry Instructions
If you are a non-exempt (paid bi-weekly) employee who will not be supervising staff, please click here.
If you are a non-exempt (paid bi-weekly) employee who will be supervising staff, please click here.
- Carleton College’s Acronym List: Please click here.
- Carleton College’s Campus Map: Please click here.