This page provides links to both narrative or summary graphic summaries of a variety of Carleton's surveys. While some results are available to the general public, others may be restricted to limited use on campus.
Institutional Research and Assessment has archives of original data files and much more detail than can be shown here. Please contact an IRA staff member to discuss what may be available.
- Links to Carleton's CIRP First Year Surveys
- The National Survey of Student Engagement (NSSE) is an annual survey administered to first year students and seniors. The survey is sponsored by the Center for Postsecondary Research (CPR) and is designed to evaluate collegiate quality. Carleton participated in 2009.
- The Senior Survey is administered to Carleton seniors during their last term in college. It includes information about students' satisfaction, college activities and future plans. Carleton has participated in the survey for most years since 1998. Below are summary results from the most recent surveys. Additional detail can be pulled by IRA as necessary
- In 2009, Carleton conducted the most extensive Alumni Survey in its history. Carleton surveyed all 22,800+ alumni (graduates and non-graduates) with known addresses, and received over 8,200 responses. The survey was conducted in cooperation with 30 other similar highly selective colleges and universities. In addition to looking at patterns across class decades,there are some comparative results for alumni a decade since graduation (Classes of 1997, 1998 and/or 1999)for Carleton,coed colleges, womens'colleges, Ivy League universities, and non-Ivy universities.
- Carleton joined the Wabash National Study of Liberal Arts Education (WNSLAE) in 2008. The Wabash Study focuses on the development of seven outcomes associated with undergraduate liberal arts education and the educational conditions and experiences that foster these outcomes. The selected outcomes include: * Critical thinking * Need for cognition * Interest in and attitudes about diversity * Leadership * Moral reasoning * Well-being First-year students repeated the Wabash study instruments in the Spring of 2009, and they will be asked to do a final exit study four years later.
- Carleton administered a Parents Survey in April/May 2012 along with other institutions in a consortium of highly selective colleges and universities.
- Results from 2010-11 and 2007-08 triennial administrations of the largest national survey of college faculty members. Provides comparison data for Carleton faculty responses over time and various user norms. (Restricted to Carleton use only)
- Summary results of the 2007-08 Campus Climate Survey conducted by Sue Rankin and Associates. Also, link to "Campus Climate: Continuing the Conversation" presentation materials(11-4-10 LTC Event).
- The 2010 Report from the University of Minnesota regarding Health and Health-Related Behaviors of Carleton College Students including Health Care, Mental Health, Tobacco and Alcohol Use, Safety, Physical Activity, and Sexual Health.