Alumni Survey 2009
In 2009, Carleton conducted the most extensive Alumni Survey in its history. Carleton surveyed all 22,800+ alumni (graduates and non-graduates) with known addresses, and received over 8,200 responses. The survey was conducted in cooperation with 30 other similar highly selective colleges and universities.
- Summary of Results by Class Decade [Adobe Acrobat]
- Selected anonymous comments from Alumni from various class decades [Adobe Acrobat]
What are Carleton's distinctive qualities?
- "There's no other college in the country where the mix of silliness and scholarship, laughter and
focus, intimacy and intelligence, and spirit and freedom of expression come together in just the way
they do at Carleton. It's a college with more personality than any one person, and for the soul that fits
there, it shapes you and holds you like no other community in the world." (Alumna from the 2000s)
- "Unparalleled education … for critical thinking, independence, social awareness, faculty-student interaction. The opportunity to attend Carleton has been the greatest gift of my life." (Alumnus from the 1990s)
- "Carleton encourages creative thinking and intellectual curiosity. I love Carleton's emphasis on exploring new areas, cultures, and ideas. Even more, I love how Carleton students are supportive of each other's pursuits and passions--there's such an air of mutual appreciation and respect. My memory of Carleton (and it seems to hold true today) is that it was a challenging yet relaxed and supportive place that enabled students to intellectually take flight. The college also encourages students to recognize their social and ethical responsibilities within the community and out in the world." (Alumna from the 1980s)