Microsoft Home Use Program
Microsoft has changed how they make Microsoft Office available to employees through their Home Use Program (HUP).
In the past, faculty and staff would contact Candy Lelm in ITS, who would give them an Office disc after they signed a license form. This is no longer the method Microsoft is using to continue their program. (Please note that Microsoft has implemented this change - this is not a change instituted by ITS or Carleton.)
Now, the interaction is completely online between the employee and Microsoft, and Office is immediately available for download and installation after paying a small fee. Faculty and staff deal only with Microsoft in order to acquire the Office software they want for their home computer. (From now on, Carleton will no longer provide discs for Microsoft Office for home use. However, if you got a disc in the past, you may continue to use it.)
Getting more information
Almost all the details are available, without paying anything, at the Web site, http://hup.microsoft.com. The links there include:
- How do I buy?
- Am I Eligible?
- Other Products (what else you could buy)
Many other questions are answered in the detailed FAQ page at: http://www.microsofthup.com/hupus/faq.aspx.
Which products are available?
The products available today are Office 2010 Professional Plus Edition for Windows, or Office 2011 for Mac, both with optional language packs. (Please note: Files created in Office 2010 for Windows and 2011 for the Mac are in the same file format as files created in Office 2007 for Windows and Office 2008 for the Mac.)
Who is eligible?
A Carleton faculty or staff member is eligible for one copy of Office for use on a home computer if he or she:
- is the primary user of a College-owned computer that has Office on it (in any version);
- continues to be employed by Carleton College.
The ordering process
This ordering/download/install process will work best if done from the home computer on which Office is to be installed, and which has a broadband connection to the Internet.
1. Go to https://hup.microsoft.com/
2. Select your country. This will take you to a new page.
3. Choose the language for viewing the order web site (this choice may not be available to you).
4. Enter your Carleton email address in the field for "Your work email"
5. In the field labeled "Program Code", you need to enter the code that has been assigned to Carleton.
Click here to get the code (you will have to log in with your Carleton email username and password). The code changes annually on October 1, and is posted as soon as it becomes available, usually in late October.
Note: This program code has been assigned to Carleton as part of a license agreement.
Please do NOT share this code.
At this point, Microsoft will validate your eligibility and, if eligible, send you an email message. There will be a link in the email message that you click to continue the process.
6. When you click on the link in your email, you will be taken to a web page that looks like this:
7. Select the product you want to purchase. You can choose to add language packs later in the process.
8. When you have chosen your version of Office, click on the "Begin Checkout" button. You will be taken to a new page that
looks similar to the one below:
9. On this page, you can choose Language Packs, a backup DVD or other products. Please note that Microsoft charges for each
item you add to your cart. When you are ready, click on the "Check Out" button.
10. Fill in the forms that Microsoft presents. You will need a credit card to complete your order.
11. When you have finished, Microsoft will send you an email receipt with a link, similar to the picture below:
Click on the "Download Link" indicated to download your copy of Office and other software you ordered.
12. Once you have downloaded your software, follow the instructions for installing your software. If you need assistance with
installation, please see Microsoft Office 2007 Support. On the left side of the page that appears, click on the words
"Installing, Upgrading and Activating".
13. If you have any questions along the way, please see the following URL: http://www.microsofthup.com/hupus/faq.aspx