Information and Policies
Food and Drink
Love Your Library, Leave No Trace: Gould Library Food and Drink Guidelines
Leave No Trace. The library has adapted the following Leave No Trace principles of outdoor ethics to its food and drink policy:
- Plan ahead and prepare: Plan to eat your meals before you come to the library. Messy or greasy foods (such as pizza, french fries, buttered popcorn, etc.) are not allowed. These foods damage library materials. In addition, odorous and/or noisy foods are distracting to others and are not allowed. Bring drinks in covered containers and be careful to avoid spills.
- Dispose of waste properly: Pack it in, pack it out: carry out any leftover food and non-disposable utensils or containers that you bring into the library. Place recyclables in recycling bins and non-recyclable garbage in trash cans. If you must dispose of beverages, pour liquids into the bathroom sink before recycling or throwing away the containers.
- Leave the library in good condition: Leave library resources, furnishings, and equipment in the same or better condition as you found them. Report accidental spills to library staff as soon as possible.
- Be considerate of other visitors: Respect your fellow library users and the next generation of library users.
Exceptions. Food and drink are prohibited in certain areas:
- Food is not permitted on the first or second (lower) levels of the library.
- Food is not permitted in any of the computer labs or at any of the computer workstations throughout the library.
- Food is not permitted at public service desks, including the Research/IT desk, and circulation and reserves areas.
- Food and drink are not permitted in Special Collections or Archives areas, including room 170.
- Alcoholic beverages are not permitted in the library except when provided for library-sponsored events and confined to the Athenaeum.
- Smoking and chewing tobacco are not permitted in the library. Smoking is not permitted within 50 feet of the library entrance. A designated smoking area with an ashtray is located at the bottom of the steps west of the library's main entrance, at the base of the Founders Court sculpture.
Goals. We established our food and drink guidelines with the following goals in mind:
- Create an environment of mutual respect and to promote learning.
- Preserve our library collections and protect our facility from pests and harmful molds.
- Ensure the health and safety of all library users and a long life for library collections, furnishings, and equipment.
- Promote recycling of appropriate food and drink packaging.
- Respect our hard-working custodial staff by taking responsibility for our personal behavior.
- Continue to direct library funds to purchasing library resources that support the curriculum, rather than to replacing materials, furnishings, and equipment damaged by food and drink.
For more information on Leave No Trace principles, visit the Leave No Trace Center for Outdoor Ethics website: http://www.lnt.org/main.html.