Club Officers 2014-2015
President: Adron Mason
Vice-President: Alex Auyeung
Treasurer: Jack Lee
Safety Officer: Maddy Cosgriff
Instructors: Joel Ward & Eric Schlichting
Interested in Aikido? Contact Adron Mason (email@example.com)
Ju Yuj Kim
About the Aikido Club
Based on the samurai tradition, modern Aikido is not strictly a martial art, but rather Japanese budo -- a method of training and study that applies the physical principles of the fighting arts toward the goals of peace, harmony, and self-improvement. An Aikido class is conducted in a friendly and supportive atmosphere, with gestures of courtesy and respect towards teacher and students that reflect the Japanese culture and the Samurai tradition.
The movements of Aikido focus on harmony between two people. The person thrown or pinned studies being off-balance and helping their partner to learn. The person who applies the control or throw studies balance and focus. Each person practices both parts. Together, the two strive harmoniously to create the most beautiful technique. Benefits of Aikido include physical fitness, challenge without competition, self-protection, and a philosophy, tradition, discipline, and atmosphere that lift students beyond exercise and technique toward a life of greater harmony.
Our instructor is Joel Ward, honorary 3rd degree black belt in the Aikido Yoshokai Association of North America (AYANA). All AYANA instructors have been certified with the Head Instructor of AYANA, Sensei Takashi Kushida.
In addition to our weekly classes, we take regular trips to train in the Twin Cities throughout the term. In the spring, we take a weekend trip to Ann Arbor, MI to train with the head instructor of Aikido Yoshokai.
If you are an alum and have more information about the history of Aikido at Carleton, please contact Aaron Chaput so that we can make our history more complete!
Other Club Sports
- AikidoApplies principles of the fighting arts toward the goals of peace, harmony, and self-improvement.
- Alpine Ski ClubProvides the Carleton community with an opportunity to explore the joys of alpine skiing, both as a sport and as a recreation.
- BadmintonGives members of the Carleton Community an opportunity to play Badminton on a regular basis.
- Competitive DanceWe practice a wide variety of Ballroom and Latin dances at the competitive level. Think Dancing with the Stars, Carleton style.
- CUT (Carleton Ultimate Team)One of the nation's dominant teams in men's college ultimate.
- CyclingPromotes bicycle road racing at the College.
- EclipseProvides a fun and encouraging environment for women to develop ultimate frisbee skills and compete at an intercollegiate level.
- EquestrianCompetes in horse shows and provides lessons in horsemanship.
- GOP (Gods of Plastic)A competitive Carleton men's ultimate team.
- KarateOffers instruction in traditional Okinawan Karate
- Men's Ice HockeyMen's Ice Hockey provides Carleton students of all skill levels an opportunity to play competitive club hockey in the Midwest.
- Men's LacrosseThe Carleton Men's Lacrosse team is a competitive intercollegiate program in the Upper Midwest Lacrosse League, a group featuring a number of MIAC schools.
- Men's RugbyCore Principles: 1. Playing rugby 2. Singing songs 3. Finding joy in back pain
- Men's VolleyballOffers intercollegiate competition and instruction
- Nordic SkiingA team of people who enjoy cross country skiing and racing at a competitive level.
- SailingSails and races small sailboats locally and in intercollegiate regattas
- Synchronized SwimmingThe Club Sport program welcomes the arrival of the Synchronized Swimming team.
- SyzygySyzygy is Carleton's women's ultimate team.
- Table TennisA forum for skilled veterans and eager beginners alike to learn, teach, share and enjoy the extraordinary game that is Table Tennis.
- Tae Kwon DoEngages in practice and competition of this ancient Korean martial art.
- TennisCarleton's competitive tennis team
- Water PoloProvides water polo instruction, practice, and local competition.
- Women's Hockey (WHAC)Provides the opportunity to participate competitively in the great game of hockey.
- Women's LacrosseTeaches the basics and provides intercollegiate competition for players of all experience levels.
- Women's RugbyAnyone interested in trying a new sport is encouraged to come out and play with us. We promise that playing rugby will be one of the best decisions of your Carleton career.