IM Softball Rules
from NIRSA Co-Recreational Sports Rulebook
(may be revised before season)
- RULE 1: The Game, Field, Players, and Equipment
- Section 1. General Provisions
- Article 1. A team shall consist of 9 players (3 females and 3 males).
- Article 2. Defensive positioning shall include 1 male and 1 female in the outfield and two males and two females in the infield.
- Section 2. The Field
- Article 1. The official diamond shall have baselines of 65 feet. (19.8m).
- Article 2. The official diamond shall have a distance of 46 feet (14.02m) between the pitching rubber and home plate.
- Section 3. The Ball: Red stitch 12 inch restricted flight ASA approved ball shall be used.
- RULE 2: Time Factors and Substitutions
- Section 1. Length of game.
- Article 1. A regulation game shall consist of seven innings.
- Section 2. Substitutions
- Article 1. Re-entry: Any of the starting players including the extra players may be withdrawn and re-entered once, provided the players occupy the same batting positions whenever in the lineup.
RULE 3: Base Running Regulations
- Section 1. Sliding is legal.
- Section 2. Courtesy runners are illegal.
- RULE 4: Batting Regulations
- Section 1. The batting order shalt alternate the sexes, as available.
- Section 2. A foul ball that is not caught is considered a strike even on the third strike.
- Mikki Showers, IM Coordinator x4481