Skip Navigation

Endowed Scholarship Awards

Income from the endowed funds described here provides scholarship assistance to enable qualified students to attend Carleton College. All scholarship recipients must maintain academic excellence and must, unless otherwise noted, demonstrate financial need. Students need not apply for these scholarships directly, they are awarded at the discretion of the College and administered as an integral part of Carleton’s financial aid program. The minimum amount currently designated for endowing and administering a new scholarship fund is $100,000.

THE ABC-DIVERSITY SCHOLARSHIP was established in 1998 by Ervin and Louise Shames, parents of Allyson Shames Argo ‘93. This fund is intended to support Carleton students who are successful graduates of the A Better Chance (ABC) secondary school program.

THE GEORGE I. ALDEN SCHOLARSHIP was initiated by the Alden Trust through challenge grants to the College in 1986 and 1989 to support mathematics and science majors. These grants were matched by gifts from several corporate, foundation, and individual donors.

THE CHARLES AND ELLORA ALLISS EDUCATIONAL FOUNDATION, created in 1960 through a bequest from Charles Clifford Alliss, offers scholarship aid to residents of Minnesota.

THE AMANDA B. ANDERSON SCHOLARSHIP FUND was established by Amanda B. Anderson in 1974 to ensure qualified students the opportunity for a superior education in the liberal arts. Miss Anderson was inspired to establish this fund by her association with friends who were Carleton graduates.

THE LESLEY K. ANDERSON ’94 MEMORIAL SCHOLARSHIP was established in 2003 by family, friends, and classmates as a memorial to Lesley K. Anderson, Class of 1994, to support students studying psychology.

THE SARA M. ANDERSON FUND was established in 1967 by Sara M. Anderson.

THE ROBERT W., MILDRED S., AND JANE ANDREWS ‘41 MEMORIAL SCHOLARSHIP FUND was established in 1961 in honor of Robert and Mildred Andrews. Their daughter, Jane Andrews, Class of 1941, was a long-time Carleton staff member and dedicated alumni volunteer. When Jane passed away in 1997, the fund expanded to commemorate her life, as well.

THE WALTER G. ANDREWS AND LOUISE SEEGER ANDREWS SCHOLARSHIP was established in 2003 through a bequest from Mr. and Mrs. Andrews, both members of the Class of 1935.

THE LOIS L. ARNEGARD ’33 ENDOWED SCHOLARSHIP FUND was created through a bequest in 2001. This scholarship is awarded to first and second year students.

THE RICHARD D. ARNEY ENDOWED SCHOLARSHIP was created in 2005 by the Arney Family to honor the memory of Richard D. Arney, a member of the Carleton Class of 1933 and the successful varsity basketball team of that year. This scholarship provides assistance to Carleton students with financial need, with a preference for students who are members of varsity athletic teams, especially those who play varsity basketball. 

THE S. EUGENE BAILEY INSTRUMENTAL SCHOLARSHIP was established through a bequest in 1997 from S. Eugene Bailey, a member of Carleton’s Music faculty from 1946 to 1975. This fund supports students who study and perform on orchestra strings, woodwinds or brass instruments.

THE WINFIELD AND HAROLD BAIRD STUDENT AID FUND was established in 1964 by the Winfield and Harold Baird Foundation in honor of W. Stewart McDonald, Class of 1922 and a trustee of the College from 1951 until his death in 1967.

THE FREDERICK GOODSELL BARROWS SCHOLARSHIP FUND was established in 1959 by Frederick Goodsell Barrows, to assist students from Otter Tail County, Minnesota.

THE BAUCUS AND CO. ENDOWED SCHOLARSHIP FUND was established in 1992 by the Holly Beach Public Library Association in Wildwood, New Jersey, and augmented in 1995 by Mrs. Harold J. Fox.

THE LUCILLE H. BECKHART ENDOWED MEMORIAL SCHOLARSHIP FUND was established in 1991 through a bequest from Maurice H. Beckhart in memory of his wife Lucille H. Beckhart, Class of 1927.

THE HAROLD P. BEND SCHOLARSHIP FUND was established in 1965 by Mr. and Mrs. Harold P. Bend.

THE BENOIT FAMILY SCHOLARSHIP was established in 2004 by Madeline Benoit, a Carleton parent and grandparent.

THE MARY LATHROP BENTON SCHOLARSHIP FUND was established in 1978 by Dr. Evelyn Anderson Haymaker, Class of 1921, and her husband Dr. Webb Haymaker in memory of Dr. Mary Lathrop Benton, Dean of Women and Professor of French and Latin from 1914 to 1922.

THE ROBERT R. AND JOSEPHINE F. BERG ’47 SCHOLARSHIP was established in 2007 with a generous gift from Mrs. Berg, a member of the Class of 1947. Robert Berg attended Carleton in the early 1940s and did meteorology training on campus during World War II.

THE MARK H. BERMAN ENDOWED SCHOLARSHIP FUND was established in 1999 as a memorial to Mark Berman, Class of 1991, by his family and friends.

THE F. R. BIGELOW FOUNDATION MINORITY SCHOLARSHIP FUND was established in 1985 through a gift from the F. R. Bigelow Foundation of St. Paul, Minnesota, to assist minority students from Ramsey, Washington, and Dakota Counties of Minnesota.

THE VIRGINIA MCKNIGHT BINGER SCHOLARSHIP was established in 1974 by the McKnight Foundation.

THE LUCETTA O. BISSELL MEMORIAL SCHOLARSHIP was established in 1969 through a bequest from Lucetta O. Bissell, Class of 1909, to assist students in the sciences and sociology.

THE ROBERT AND BARBARA BONNER SCHOLARSHIP FUND was established in 2000 by Roy S. Rogers IV, Class of 1989. The fund recognizes Robert’s service to Carleton as a member of the History Department and Dean of Students and Barbara’s service to both the Carleton and Northfield communities. The fund also serves as a memorial to Jennifer Bonner, Class of 1989. The Bonner Fund provides scholarship aid to students interested in the humanities.

THE BOSWELL SCHOLARSHIP FUND was established in 1875 by Charles M. Boswell.

THE ELIZABETH S. BOYLES SCHOLARSHIP IN MUSIC was established in 1964 through a bequest from her husband, Charles D. Boyles, to assist students in any field of music.

THE PROFESSOR VIOLETTE BROWN MEMORIAL SCHOLARSHIP was established through a bequest from Robert L. Currie ’44 in 2001. This scholarship supports students studying music, with a preference for voice students.

THE DAVID BRYN-JONES SCHOLARSHIP FUND was established in 1964 by Mr. and Mrs. Edward C. Wilson in honor of Dr. David Bryn-Jones, Professor of Economics and Political Science at Carleton from 1920 to 1927 and the Frank B. Kellogg Professor of International Relations from 1936 to 1952. The fund, augmented by family and friends, provides scholarship aid to students interested in the humanities and social sciences in general and in international relations in particular.

THE MARIAN BRYN-JONES SCHOLARSHIP FUND FOR MINORITY STUDENTS was established in 1985 by Marian Bryn-Jones, Class of 1923, to assist minority students.

THE BELLE CALDWELL SCHOLARSHIP FUND was established through a bequest from Mary Louise Caldwell, to provide assistance for junior or senior students.

THE CAMPUS ENDOWED SCHOLARSHIP FUND was established in 1997 during the Assuring Excellence Campaign through the generosity of many members of Carleton’s faculty and staff. 

THE HAROLD G. AND ROBERT C. CANT MEMORIAL SCHOLARSHIP FUND was established in 1974 through a bequest from Harold G. Cant, a Minneapolis attorney and a long time friend of Carleton. When Robert passed away in 1999, the memorial scholarship expanded to commemorate his life as well.

THE LOIS CAREY MEMORIAL MUSIC FUND was established in 1991 by family and friends in memory of Lois Utzinger Carey, Class of 1948, to assist students with music lessons, preferably students of stringed instruments, piano or voice, or for the purchase of music.

THE ARNOLD W. CARLSON ‘52 MEMORIAL SCHOLARSHIP was established in 2001 by Barbara Gray Koch, Class of 1952, in memory of her very close friend and classmate.

THE WENDELL RAMBERG CARLSON FUND was established in 1955 by Anna Carlson Hall, Class of 1910, as a memorial to her brother who died in 1915 while attending Carleton. This scholarship is awarded to male students of unusual promise.

THE CAROLYN SCHOLARSHIP FUND was established in 1969 by the Carolyn Foundation, to provide financial assistance to minority students.

THE FRANCES AND ROSE CAWARD MEMORIAL FUND was established through a bequest from Neil G. Caward, Class of 1906, in tribute to his wife and his mother.

THE LAURENA CHOO MEMORIAL FUND FOR STUDIES IN ASIA was established in 1992 by Kwan and Jessica Choo in memory of their daughter Laurena Choo, Class of 1990, to support students who are studying in China or in other parts of East or Southeast Asia.

THE CHRISTIAN HIGHER EDUCATION SCHOLARSHIP FUND was established in 1962 by the United Church Board for Homeland Ministries, to assist students who intend to pursue studies related to religion.

THE CLASS OF 1929 SCHOLARSHIP FUND was established by gifts from members of the class on the 55th anniversary of their graduation from Carleton.

THE CLASS OF 1931 SCHOLARSHIP FUND was established by gifts from members of the class on the 50th anniversary of their graduation from Carleton.

THE CLASS OF 1933 SCHOLARSHIP FUND was established by gifts from members of the class on the 50th anniversary of their graduation from Carleton.

THE CLASS OF 1934 SCHOLARSHIP FUND was established by gifts from members of the class on the 50th anniversary of their graduation from Carleton.

THE CLASS OF 1937 SCHOLARSHIP FUND was established by gifts from members of the class.

THE CLASS OF 1944 SCHOLARSHIP FUND was established by gifts from members of the class on its 50th anniversary. Income from the fund will provide four-year scholarships for students who demonstrate qualities of imagination, diversity of talents, self-reliance, creativity, integrity, good citizenship and a strong sense of community. They will be known as Class of 1944 Scholars.

In appreciation for their generous 50th Reunion gift, the College established THE CLASS OF 1950 SCHOLARS. The scholarship is awarded to junior or senior Carleton students with financial need.

THE CLASS OF 1953 ENDOWED SCHOLARSHIP FUND was established by gifts from members of the class on the 50th anniversary of their graduation from Carleton.

THE CLASS OF 1954 ENDOWED SCHOLARSHIP FUND was established by gifts from members of the class on the 50th anniversary of their graduation from Carleton.

THE CLASS OF 1956 SCHOLARSHIP ENDOWMENT FOR STUDENTS STUDYING ABROAD was created in 2006 by the Class of 1956 on the occasion of their 50th Reunion. The fund provides scholarships to Carleton students who are pursuing off-campus studies in locations outside of the United States.

THE ‘62 SCHOLARS FUND was established by gifts from members of the class at its 25th reunion to support students whom the class hopes will reflect the diversity of interests, the enthusiasm for life, and the commitment to others and to Carleton that exemplify the Class of 1962.

THE CLASS OF 1966 DIVERSITY OF ACHIEVEMENT SCHOLARSHIP AWARD was established by gifts from the members of the class on the 25th anniversary of their graduation from Carleton. The scholarship is awarded to students who have made a unique contribution to the college or the community in diverse areas such as the arts, community service, student government, academic research, or other areas of contribution.

THE CLASS OF 1968 SCHOLARSHIP FUND was established by gifts from members of the class on its 25th anniversary and in memory of seventeen classmates.

THE HOWARD CONN FUND was established anonymously in 1960 to honor the Reverend Dr. Howard Conn, a Carleton trustee from 1948 to 1972 and Trustee Emeritus since 1972, for the benefit, preferably, of students preparing for the missionary field.

THE DONALD J. AND ELIZABETH S. COWLING FUND was established in 1945 by friends of Carleton in honor of its third president, Donald J. Cowling, who served from 1909 to 1945, and his wife Elizabeth. Income from the fund is used to meet the financial need of minority students with “outstanding potential for success at Carleton and leadership in the nation and the world.”

THE JENNIE NASON CROOKER MEMORIAL SCHOLARSHIP FUND was established in 1978 by Harold N. Crooker, Class of 1918, as a memorial to his mother. Income from the fund provides scholarship assistance to women, preferably daughters of the clergy or missionaries.

THE THOMAS M. CROSBY SR. FUND FOR MINORITY STUDENTS was established in 1988 through a bequest from Thomas M. Crosby, a trustee of the College from 1973 until his death in 1988.

THE WILLIAM D. CROTTY SCHOLARSHIP FUND was established in 1987 through a bequest from William D. Crotty.

THE CHARLES A. CULVER SCHOLARSHIP FUND FOR PHYSICS was established in 1965 with a gift from Dr. Culver, Class of 1902, Professor of Physics from 1923 through 1946 and Professor of Mathematics in 1947, to assist students who intend to pursue the study of physics as a life career.

THE CUSTODIAL SCHOLARSHIP FUND was established in 1993 by members of Carleton’s custodial staff to assist students with financial need with preference given to the children of custodians.

THE DAIMLER CHRYSLER CORPORATION SCHOLARSHIP FUND was established in 1971 for qualified students who could not afford to attend Carleton College without financial aid.

THE PATRICIA V. DAMON ’36 SCHOLARSHIP FUND was created in 2003 by a bequest from the estate of Ms. Damon. This fund provides scholarship aid to senior Carleton students who exhibit a strong academic profile and accomplishment in extra-curricular activities.

THE CARRIE AND JAMES DAVIS SCHOLARSHIP FUND was created in 2006 by Stephen J. Davis, Class of 1988, and Christopher J. Davis, Class of 1989, to honor their parents. The scholarship provides aid to students of color with preference given to African American students.

THE EDWIN DICKINSON SCHOLARSHIP FUND was established in 1979 through a bequest from Mrs. Edwin D. Dickinson, Class of 1909, in memory of her husband, also a 1909 graduate.

THE DIPLOMATS ENDOWED SCHOLARSHIP FUND was established by an anonymous donor in 2004. The fund provides financial assistance to students who have taken at least one course in international relations.

THE LOUIS L. DODGE FUND was established in 1936 by Mattie Chapman Dodge as a memorial to her husband.

THE CHARLES AND BERTHANIA DONNELLY SCHOLARSHIP FUND was established in 1970 with a gift from their estate.

THE JOYCE P. AND DAVID F. DRAKE SCHOLARSHIP FUND was established in 2008 by Joyce and David Drake in celebration of their 50th reunion. Both members of the Class of 1958 and Northfield natives, they wish to extend the opportunity of a Carleton education to young men and women with financial need from their hometown and the surrounding area.

THE NEIL S. DUNGAY MEMORIAL FUND was established in 1959 by friends of Dr. Dungay, a Carleton professor for 45 years, to assist pre-medicine and other science students.

THE PHILIP R. DUNTON SCHOLARSHIP FUND was established in 1965 with a gift from Philip R. Dunton, to assist students expressing interest in mathematics or the sciences.

THE ROGER L. ELDRIDGE INTERNATIONAL STUDENT SCHOLARSHIP was established in 1992 by Joanne E. Swenson Eldridge, to honor her husband, Roger L. Eldridge, Class of 1955 and College Chaplain from 1962 to 1963.

THE RUDOLPH T. ELSTAD SCHOLARSHIP FUND was established in 1961 by Mrs. Rudolph T. Elstad, Class of 1919, in memory of her husband, a trustee of the College from 1952 to 1959, to assist students studying mathematics, pre-engineering, or science.

THE ARTHUR T. ERICKSON SCHOLARSHIP FUND was established in 1969 through a bequest from the estate of Mr. Erickson, the father of two Carleton students.

THE MARILYN MINAR ERICKSON MUSIC SCHOLARSHIP was established in 1981 to honor Marilyn Minar Erickson, Class of 1949, and her life-long love of music, nurtured while she was a student at the College. Income from the fund is awarded to Carleton students from the Upper Midwest who play a stringed instrument.

THE CLARK D. EVANS SCHOLARSHIP FUND was established in 1987 by the family and friends of Clark D. Evans, Class of 1980. This scholarship is awarded to entering first-year students based on their academic achievement and ability, and is renewed annually, assuming continued scholarship achievement, during the students’ four years at Carleton.

THE ROBERT FLANAGAN MEMORIAL SCHOLARSHIP FUND was established in 1974 by friends and associates in memory of Mr. Flanagan. Robert Flanagan served on the Carleton Board of Trustees from 1944 to 1968.

THE FORD MOTOR COMPANY ENDOWED SCHOLARSHIP was established in 1996 to assist students majoring in the physical sciences or mathematics.

THE WINFIELD A. FOREMAN ENDOWED SCHOLARSHIP FOR ACADEMIC EXCELLENCE IN ECONOMICS is given to students with a track record of academic excellence majoring in Economics. This scholarship was created in May of 2005 by Winfield Foreman’s wife, Alice, in honor of her husband’s 90th birthday. Mr. Foreman was a member of the Carleton Class of 1937.

THE ALICE BEAN FRASER SCHOLARSHIP FUND was established in 1975 with a gift from the estate of Alice Bean Fraser, Class of 1900, to assist minority students.

THE GAMBLE AND SKOGMO FOUNDATION FUND FOR MINORITY STUDENTS was established in 1986.

THE RUTH HARTZELL GAUMNITZ FUND was established in 1937 by her husband, Carl Gaumnitz, in her memory.

THE GILLETTE-PIKE SCHOLARSHIP FUND was established in 1962 by Mr. and Mrs. Allen W. Pike in memory of James R. Gillette, who served for 15 years at Carleton as professor of music, to assist music students.

THE LAURENCE MCKINLEY GOULD FUND was established in 1952 as a tribute to former Carleton President Laurence McKinley Gould to assist students majoring in science.

THE LAURENCE M. GOULD ENDOWED SCHOLARSHIP FUND was established in 1974 by DeWitt Wallace, founder with Mrs. Wallace of Reader’s Digest, to honor his friend, former Carleton President Laurence M. Gould.

THE SPENCER GOULD ’52 AND BARBARA SHARP GOULD ’57 ENDOWED SCHOLARSHIP FUND was established in 2002 by the Class of 1952 in honor of Spencer Gould’s 50th reunion and to recognize the exceptional generosity of Spencer and Barbara.

THE PHILIP FARRINGTON GRAY MEMORIAL SCHOLARSHIP FUND was established in 1927 by friends of Mr. Gray, Class of 1928.

THE HAZEL L. AMLAND GROSE SCHOLARSHIP FUND was established in 1975 by Thomas F. Grose in memory of his mother, Hazel Amland Grose, Class of 1922.

THE DR. M. STUART AND MARION BURNETT GROVE ENDOWED SCHOLARSHIP FUND was established in 2007 through a gift from the Groves’ estate and memorial gifts made by their family and friends. The fund assists students with financial need.

THE ALICE DAU HAN, R.N., SCHOLARSHIP FUND was established in 1976 through a bequest from her husband, Dr. Maolin Han, Class of 1945, to assist students studying Chinese culture, language, and/or history. 

THE MALCOLM B. HANSON MEMORIAL SCHOLARSHIP FUND was established in 1974 by Josephine O. Hanson in honor of her late husband, Malcolm Hanson, Class of 1920, to assist students of Scandinavian descent.

THE JOSEPHINE LOUISE HARPER MEMORIAL SCHOLARSHIP FUND was established in 1926 by Mrs. J. L. Harper as a memorial to her daughter.

THE ADA M. HARRISON ENDOWED SCHOLARSHIP FUND was established in 2000 from Professor Harrison’s estate and with memorial gifts from her former students and colleagues. Ada M. Harrison taught economics at Carleton from 1948 until her retirement in 1979.

THE JOSEPHINE NEWTON HART SCHOLARSHIP FUND was established in 1963 by a gift from the estate of Josephine Newton Hart, Class of 1900.

THE WILLIAM RANDOLPH HEARST ENDOWED SCHOLARSHIP FUND was established in 1991 by The Hearst Foundation, Inc. of San Francisco.

THE LUCILLE R. AND PETER F. HEINTZ ENDOWED SCHOLARSHIP FUND was established in 1997 to support students of need with priority given to students from Chickasaw County, Iowa or from other rural areas in Iowa.

THE DOW ZACHARY HELMERICH SCHOLARSHIP FUND was established in 1989 by Walter H. Helmerich, III, to honor his son “Zak” Helmerich, Class of 1980, and to assist students from Oklahoma.

THE PAT AND PAULINE HERMAN SCHOLARSHIP FUND was established in 2001 through a bequest from the Hermans. Preference is given to students from Guam, or specified schools in India or the city of Oak Park, Illinois.

THE ROBERT J. “BOB” HERMECKE AND ARNOLD J. “ARNIE” HILLESTAD ENDOWED SCHOLARSHIP FUND was established in 1999 through an estate gift from Arnold J. Hillestad. This fund supports students studying the piano.

THE JEAN R. AND RICHARD H. HOPPIN SCHOLARSHIP was established in 1986 by Richard H. Hoppin, Class of 1936, to assist students in the Departments of English and Music. One award is made each year and alternates between English and Music majors.

THE GEORGE A. HORMEL AND COMPANY SCHOLARSHIP was established in 1984 to assist students from Austin, Minnesota, and vicinity.

THE A.D. AND M.A. HULINGS ’36 MEMORIAL SCHOLARSHIP FUND was created in 1994 by Carleton alumni, faculty, staff, and friends of A.D. “Bill” and M.A. “Betty” Hulings, both from the Class of 1936. Bill and Betty both served as trustees of the College.

THE HUNT SCHOLARS ENDOWED SCHOLARSHIP FUND was established in 1999 with a gift from the estate of Sam E. Hunt. The fund provides financial support for two students of color, one male and one female, who demonstrate deep financial need and have a strong academic record.

THE SARAH B. HYDE SCHOLARSHIP FUND was established in 1897 with a gift from the estate of Sarah B. Hyde.

THE HORACE HILLS IRVINE SCHOLARSHIP FUND was established in 1958 by Mrs. Irvine in memory of her husband, a Carleton trustee from 1930 to 1947, to assist students majoring in any field of science.

THE ANDREA GROVE ISEMINGER ’59 ENDOWED SCHOLARSHIP FUND FOR OFF-CAMPUS STUDIES was created in 2001, honoring Andrea Grove Iseminger and her distinguished service to Carleton. As director of Off-Campus Studies, Ms. Iseminger matured and expanded Carleton’s program which has been described as one of the best in the nation. Scholarships provide financial resources each year for off-campus study and travel for students with demonstrated financial need enrolled in Carleton sponsored programs.

THE IVES SCHOLARSHIP FUND was established in 1888 by Dr. Charles L. Ives.

THE MILDRED LAURA JAYNES SCHOLARSHIP was established through a bequest from Mildred Laura Jaynes, to assist students in the Physical Education Department.

THE OWEN JENKINS HONORARY SCHOLARSHIP was initiated in 1997 by gifts from alumni, family and friends in honor of Professor Owen Jenkins’ 43 years of distinguished service to the College and recognition of his retirement. This fund provides financial assistance for junior or senior English majors who demonstrate financial need. Of the English majors demonstrating need, the one with the highest grade point average will receive support from the Jenkins Fund.

THE JAMES EDWIN JENKS SCHOLARSHIP FUND was established in 1972 through a bequest from Marion S. Jenks in memory of her husband James, Class of 1895, to assist male students with financial need.

THE LOWELL E. AND ADA WHITING JEPSON SCHOLARSHIP FUND was established in 1981 by Katharine Jepson Jackson, Class of 1914, in memory of her parents, Ada Whiting Jepson, Class of 1888, and Lowell Jepson, Class of 1887 and a Carleton trustee from 1898 to 1938.

THE LYDIA M. JEWETT SCHOLARSHIP FUND was established in 1881 with a gift from the estate of Lydia M. Jewett to support daughters of clergyman.

THE ROSALIND GESNER JOHNSON ’54 MEMORIAL ENDOWED SCHOLARSHIP FUND was established in 2001 in anticipation of the Class of 1954’s 50th Reunion by Louise Heffelfinger. This fund recognizes her close friend and classmate, Rosie Johnson.

THE JOYCE FOUNDATION SCHOLARSHIP FUND was established in 1983 to assist minority students at Carleton.

THE LYDIA S. AND CLARENCE E. TILLBERG AND JEROME J. AND LORRAINE T. KAPITANOFF SCHOLARSHIP FUND was established in 2005 with a gift from the estate of Lorraine Tillman Kapitanoff, Class of 1939.

THE KAUTZ FAMILY ENDOWED SCHOLARSHIP was established in 2008 with a gift from the Kautz Family Foundation to honor Leslie Barnes Kautz ’80 and the excellent liberal arts education she received at Carleton. The fund assists students with financial need, with preference for first generation college students.

THE FRANK B. KELLOGG FOUNDATION SCHOLARSHIP FUND was established in 1937 by Senator and Secretary of State Frank B. Kellogg, to assist students with an interest in international relations and the study of other governments and cultural groups.

THE FRED C. AND BEATRICE E. KENNEDY GEOLOGY FUND was established in 1998 by Mr. Kennedy. The fund supports student scholarships and the maintenance of the rare mineral species collection donated by Mr. Kennedy.

THE WALTER AND CAROLYN KERN FUND was established in 1944 through a bequest from Walter Kern, whose wife Carolyn Evans Kern graduated in 1900.

THE HAROLD P. KLUG MUSIC SCHOLARSHIP was established in 1994 through a bequest from Mr. Klug to support students interested in music.

THE WARREN P. KNOWLES ENDOWED SCHOLARSHIP FUND was established in 1994 through a bequest from Mr. Knowles, Class of 1930 and former Governor of Wisconsin. Income from the fund assists students who have completed their first year and are going to complete their education at Carleton.

THE KUEFFNER ENDOWED SCHOLARSHIP FUND was established in 2000 by Mary-Hill French, Class of 1938, and William R. Kueffner, Class of 1941, in honor of their parents, Helen S. and William Ruesch Kueffner.

THE GEORGE H. LAMSON ENDOWED SCHOLARSHIP FOR INTERNATIONAL STUDENTS was established in 2003 with gifts from friends, family, alumni, and colleagues of Professor Lamson to honor his 33 years of distinguished service to the College.

THE CLAIRE SCHMUCKEL LANDAU ’37 ENDOWED SCHOLARSHIP was established in 2002 by Richard and Claire Landau to support students studying music. 

THE ELIZABETH J. LARIMORE AND MAUDE I. MATHEWS MEMORIAL FUND was established in 1965 through a bequest from Elizabeth J. Larimore as a memorial to Elizabeth J. Larimore, Class of 1893, and her sister Maude I. Mathews, Class of 1895.

THE ROBERT F. LEACH MEMORIAL SCHOLARSHIP FUND was established in 1971 by friends and associates of Robert F. Leach, Class of 1931 and a Carleton trustee from 1960 to 1970.

THE RALPH N. LEUTHOLD SCHOLARSHIP FUND was established in 1961 to assist deserving students, preferably from southern Minnesota.

THE HAZEL M. LEWIS MEMORIAL SCHOLARSHIP FUND was established in 1962 by her family and friends in memory of Hazel M. Lewis, Dean of Women from 1943 to 1958.

THE MARY ELLEN LEWIS ‘28 SCHOLARSHIP FUND was established in 1998 through a bequest from Mary Ellen Lewis.

THE MIRIAM LOSS LEWY ‘44 SCHOLARSHIP was created in 1996 as a tribute to Mrs. Lewy.

THE DR. AND MRS. HYME LOSS SCHOLARSHIP FUND was established in 1975 by Adith Loss Miller, Class of 1939, and her husband Benjamin, to honor Mrs. Miller’s parents. Dr. Hyme Loss taught at Carleton from 1926 to 1955 and was chairman of the Department of Romance Languages from 1942 until his retirement.

THE FRANCES P. LUCAS SCHOLARSHIP FUND was established in 1975 by Frances P. Lucas, wife of Ward Lucas, Carleton trustee from 1941 to 1961. Income from the fund is awarded, when possible, to students who are residents of Winona County, Minnesota.

THE WARD LUCAS SCHOLARSHIP FUND was established in 1956 by Frances P. Lucas as a memorial to her husband Ward, a Carleton trustee from 1941 to 1961.

THE RALPH B. AND NANCY LYNN SCHOLARSHIP FUND was established in 1984 by Ralph B. Lynn, Class of 1932, and his wife Nancy.

THE JACKY TRAGER MAGUIRE SCHOLARSHIP IN ENGLISH LITERATURE was established in 1994 by family and friends as a memorial to Jacquelyn Marie Trager Maguire, Class of 1947, to assist students studying English Literature.

THE JOHN W. MAHAN MEMORIAL FUND was established in 1957 through bequests from his wife Hortense B. Mahan and daughter Marjorie E. Mahan, Class of 1921, to assist students, preferably from St. Paul and suburbs.

THE JOE AND DONNA MARKLEY SCHOLARSHIP FUND was established in 1979 by Joseph H. Markley, Class of 1917, and Donna Rosebrock Markley, Class of 1919.

THE MARJORIE MARSHALL SCHOLARSHIP FUND was established by Irl H. Marshall in honor of his daughter, Class of 1951.

THE MARYHILL ENDOWED SCHOLARSHIP FUND was established in 2007 by Mary F. Carson and K. Paul Carson, Jr., parents of three Carleton graduates.

THE JAMES C. MASSON SCHOLARSHIP FUND was established in 1976 through a bequest from Dr. James C. Masson.

THE PHILIP A. MCADAM SCHOLARHSIP FUND was established in 1959 by the parents of Philip McAdam ’41 who was killed in action during WWII. The fund assists students with financial need.

THE MCDONALD SCHOLARSHIP FUND was established in 1964 to honor the memory of Willis James and Isabelle Stewart McDonald, K. J. McDonald, Class of 1920, and W. Stewart McDonald, Class of 1922 and a trustee of the College from 1951 to 1967.

THE MCKNIGHT FOUNDATION ENDOWED SCHOLARSHIP FUND was established in 1975 to assist minority students.

THE MEAD WITTER FOUNDATION ENDOWED SCHOLARSHIP FUND was established in 2004 for Carleton students from Wisconsin.

THE CHARLES E. MERRILL SCHOLARSHIP FUND was established with gifts in 1960 and 1968 from the Charles E. Merrill Trust, to assist students from small mid-western towns.

THE CHARLES E. MERRILL SCHOLARSHIPS were established in 1977 to assist students from small communities in Minnesota, Iowa, North and South Dakota, and Wisconsin.

THE GEORGE AND RUTH MESTJIAN SCHOLARSHIP FUND was established in 2008 through a gift from the Mestjians’ estate to support students with financial need who have “struggled mightily to help themselves.”

THE JOHN M. AND MINNIE S. MILLEN MEMORIAL SCHOLARSHIP FUND was established in 1931 by friends of Mr. Millen. Mr. Millen was a track coach at Carleton in the 1920s. The name of the scholarship was changed in 1997 to include Mrs. Millen’s name.

THE ADITH LOSS MILLER ‘39 MEMORIAL SCHOLARSHIP was established in 1998 by Benjamin A. Miller in loving memory of his wife Adith.

THE ALLICE ARCHIBALD MINOR AND JOEL P. HEATWOLE FUND was created by combining two separate funds in 1965 as a memorial to Allice Archibald Minor, to assist students who are graduates of Northfield High School or residents of Northfield and vicinity.

THE WILLARD WHITCOMB MORSE MEMORIAL FUND FOR CARLETON COLLEGE was established in 1961 by the Morse Foundation of Minneapolis, Minnesota, as a memorial to Willard Morse, to assist students studying English and/or history.

THE CHARLES A. MOSES ’49 ENDOWED SCHOLARSHIP was established in 2002 with a bequest from Mr. Moses’ estate. Preference is given to students intending to major in economics.

THE MULTICULTURAL ALUMNI NETWORK (MCAN) SCHOLARSHIP was created in 1999 by Carleton alumni, faculty, staff, and friends to provide scholarship aid to Carleton students of color.

THE LAURA JANE MUSSER ENDOWED SCHOLARSHIP FUND was established in 1992 by the trustees of The Musser Fund in memory of Laura Jane Musser to provide aid to students of color with demonstrated financial need.

THE ROBERT EATON NASON MEMORIAL SCHOLARSHIP FUND was established in 1931 as a memorial to Robert E. Nason, Class of 1931.

THE EARL A. NEIL ’57 ENDOWED SCHOLARSHIP was created in 2005 by Phillip G. Schmid ’57 and Joanne M. Schmid P’84 to honor Phil’s friend and classmate, Earl A. Neil ’57. This fund provides scholarship aid to Carleton students with demonstrated financial need, with a preference given to students from minority or traditionally disadvantaged backgrounds.

THE ANN NICOLE NELSON ’93 MEMORIAL SCHOLARSHIP FUND was established in 2003 to honor the memory of Ann Nelson, Class of 1993, who lost her life in the World Trade Center on September 11, 2001.

THE MABEL HUNTOON NELSON FUND was established in 1966 through a bequest from Mabel H. Nelson, Class of 1915, to assist talented music students.

THE MALCOLM J. NELSON SCHOLARSHIP FUND was established in 1997 by Robert W. Nelson, Class of 1962, and Carolyn Williamson Nelson, Class of 1963, in memory of Robert’s father, Malcolm J. Nelson. The scholarship is awarded to students from rural areas or small towns in Minnesota with preference given to students from the counties of Otter Tail or Mahnomen.

THE ERNEST AND EDNA NEWHOUSE ENDOWED SCHOLARSHIP FUND was established in 2005 from the estate of Mr. Newhouse, Class of 1935.

THE NORTHWEST PAPER FOUNDATION SCHOLARSHIP FUND was established in 1969 by the Northwest Paper Foundation.

THE LAVERNE NOYES FOUNDATION SCHOLARSHIP FUND was established in 1937 by the trustees of the estate of LaVerne Noyes, to assist students who are descended from veterans of World War I.

THE MARY JUSTINE OENNING ‘28 MEMORIAL SCHOLARSHIP was established in 1998 through a bequest from Mary Oenning’s estate.

THE OGDEN-WILKINSON SCHOLARSHIP FUND was established in 1980 by J. Humphrey Wilkinson, Class of 1916, and by gifts from Dr. Warner Ogden, Class of 1916, and his son Dr. Harry S. Ogden, Class of 1945, in honor of J. Humphrey Wilkinson and his classmate and friend, Dr. Warner Ogden.

THE ANN ELIZABETH OLIVER SCHOLARSHIP was established in 1993 by Julia and Gay Oliver and the Borg Warner Foundation in memory of the Olivers’ daughter Ann, Class of 1994, who died of cancer.

THE OSCAR AND MAUDE OLSON SCHOLARSHIP FUND was established in 1984 by a bequest from their daughter Helen K. Dundas, Class of 1926, to assist women students, preferably those interested in a business career.

THE J. FALCONER PATERSON AND KATHERINE K. PATERSON SCHOLARSHIP FUND was established in 1996 through a bequest from the Patersons. Assistance is awarded to students demonstrating financial need with preference given to students interested in optometry.

THE BOWMAN W. PATTEN SCHOLARSHIP FUND was established in 1944 in memory of Bowman W. Patten, a friend of the College, to assist a senior planning to study for the ministry.

THE CAROLINE F. PEINE ‘47 ENDOWED SCHOLARSHIP was established in 1997 by Caroline F. Peine, to assist students from Kansas.

THE JESSE F. PERRIN SCHOLARSHIP FUND was established in 1971 by Homer Surbeck in honor of his boyhood friend, Reverend Jesse Perrin, Class of 1925.

THE CLIFTON E. PETERSON, M.D. ’50 SCHOLARSHIP FUND was established by Dr. Peterson in 2001 to assist students from the Iowa counties of Franklin, Hancock, and Wright, and the Wisconsin counties of Ozaukee and Polk.

THE PROFESSOR JOHN PHELAN MEMORIAL SCHOLARSHIP was established through a bequest from Robert L. Currie ’44 in 2001. Professor Phelan taught sociology and anthropology at Carleton from 1932 until 1950. This scholarship assists students studying sociology or social work.

THE PILLSBURY COMPANY SCHOLARSHIP was established in 1985 by the Company as part of the College’s scholarship endowment for minority students.

THE PRENTISS SCHOLARSHIP FUND was established in 1934 by the board of trustees of the Prentiss estate as a memorial to Mr. and Mrs. Samuel Prentiss (Maud Laird), in acknowledgment of their long interest in Carleton.

THE NICHOLAS ’37 AND VIRGINIA G. PUZAK ENDOWED SCHOLARSHIP FUND was established in 1999 and is awarded to students who graduate from high schools in Minnesota.

THE WILLIAM HERMAN QUIRMBACH SCHOLARSHIP FUND was established in 1985 by relatives and friends of William Herman Quirmbach, to assist students of high academic achievement who participate in the extracurricular life of the College.

THE EBENEZER G. RANNEY SCHOLARSHIP FUND was established in 1926 by Ebenezer G. Ranney.

THE READER’S DIGEST FOUNDATION SCHOLARSHIP FUND was established in 1965.

THE RELIASTAR SCHOLARSHIP FUND was established in 1997 by the Minnesota-based ReliaStar Foundation. Scholarship assistance is awarded to juniors or seniors majoring in economics, mathematics, computer science, or related fields.

THE REMEMBRANCE OF WAR, PURSUIT OF PEACE SCHOLARSHIP was established in 1995 by gifts from members of the Class of 1945 on the 50th anniversary of their graduation from Carleton. Their scholarship fund supports two scholarships, one for a junior and one for a senior student, in hope that their education will have some impact on the world’s search for peace.

THE EDITH GARRISON REYNOLDS ENDOWED SCHOLARSHIP FUND was established in 1992 through a bequest from Edith Garrison Reynolds, Class of 1932.

THE C. EUGENE RIGGS SCHOLARSHIP FUND was established in 1972 by C. Eugene Riggs.

THE MABEL E. P. RIGGS FUND was established in 1946 by her husband C. E. Riggs to assist students with demonstrated need, preferably female students.

THE JESSE SQUIBB ROBINSON SCHOLARSHIP IN ECONOMICS was established in 1977 by Freda Dungay Robinson in memory of her husband Jesse, a member of the economics department from 1920 to 1953, to assist students studying economics.

THE RICHARD AND ELIZABETH RODGERS ENDOWED SCHOLARSHIP FUND was established in 1996 through an estate gift of Richard S. Rodgers, Class of 1926, to support upper class students with financial need during their final two years at Carleton.

THE JANET VIEREGG ROSSOW ‘59 MEMORIAL SCHOLARSHIP was established in 1995 by her husband Edwin Rossow, ‘59 to recognize and perpetuate within the Carleton community the spirit of the love of art that was central in Janet’s life. This scholarship is awarded to a senior Studio Art or Art History major with good academic standing, demonstrated financial need, and who best exemplifies Janet’s love of art and her commitment to enrich the lives of members of her local community.

THE VICTORIA ANN RUPP ’66 ENDOWED SCHOLARSHIP FUND was established in 2007 with a gift from Victoria Ann Rupp, Class of 1966 and long time member of the Carleton Alumni Adventures Travel Committee and the Alumni Council. 

THE CHARLOTTE M. SANFORD SCHOLARSHIP FOUNDATION was established in 1993 through a bequest from Charlotte Mead Sanford of St. Paul to provide financial aid for deserving music, art, and modern language students. Ms. Sanford did not attend Carleton, but some of her closest friends were alumni and staff.

THE SCHOLARSHIP FOR INTERNATIONAL STUDENTS was established by an anonymous donor in 2004 to provide financial support for international students enrolled at Carleton.

THE DONALDA D. SCHNEIDT SCHOLARSHIP FUND was established in 1970 through a bequest from Donalda D. Ludwig Schneidt, Class of 1906.

THE LOUISE E. SCHUTZ SCHOLARSHIP FUND was established in 1966 through a bequest from Louise E. Schutz, Class of 1907.

THE HIRAM ARTHUR SCRIVER FUND was established in 1944 by the Arthur T. Scriver family in memory of Hiram Arthur Scriver, Class of 1881 and a trustee of the College from 1900 to 1922, and his grandson, also Hiram Arthur Scriver, Class of 1943.

THE WILLIAM H., MARY L., AND M. LEITH SHACKEL SCHOLARSHIP FUND was created in 1955 by Leith Shackel, Class of 1929 and former Director of Placement and Dean of Women at Carleton, as a memorial to her parents. When Leith passed away in 1996, the memorial scholarship expanded to commemorate her life, as well.

THE SHELDAHL - JAMES S. WOMACK ENDOWED SCHOLARSHIP FUND was established in 1992 by Sheldahl Incorporated to honor retiree James S. Womack whose career at Sheldahl spanned 35 years. Mr. Womack had a strong commitment to the Northfield community and to Carleton College.

THE MICHAEL T. SHELTON ‘79 SCHOLARSHIP FUND was established in 1998 through a bequest from Michael T. Shelton to assist senior students who have a proven record of helping others and exhibit a good sense of humor.

THE PROFESSOR ROSS SHOGER SCHOLARSHIP was established in 2007 by Professor Shoger and his wife, Jan, to assist students with financial need, with preference to students participating in Carleton’s pre-medical program.

THE DR. A. E. AND RUTH SIMONSON SCHOLARSHIP FUND was established in 1971 through a bequest from Dr. A. E. Simonson in memory of his wife Ruth, Class of 1917, to assist students, preferably graduates of Pelican Rapids (Minnesota) High School.

THE FRED G. SIMONTON ENDOWED SCHOLARSHIP FUND was established in 1986 with gifts received in memory of Fred G. Simonton. Students with a rural or small community background from the states of Montana, Wyoming, Colorado, Kansas, Nebraska, North Dakota, South Dakota, Minnesota, and Iowa will receive priority.

THE SKILLMAN FOUNDATION SCHOLARSHIP was established in 1975 by The Skillman Foundation in honor of Mrs. Robert H. Skillman.

THE NATALIE TOWERS SLACK SCHOLARSHIP FUND was established in 1966 by Ralph Towers, in honor of his daughter Natalie, Class of 1956, to assist students interested in music.

THE SLOCUM FUND was established in 1984 by members of the Slocum family, to assist deserving students, preferably female students from southwestern Minnesota.

THE CHARLES L. SMITH, JR. SCHOLARSHIP was established in 1985 by Mr. Smith, a Carleton parent and past trustee, as part of the College’s scholarship endowment for minority students.

THE GEORGE T. SOMERO MEMORIAL SCHOLARSHIP FUND was established in 1972 by his wife Mary E. Somero and his son and daughter-in-law, Dr. George N. Somero, Class of 1962, and Dr. Meredith C. Somero, in honor of George T. Somero. First preference will be given to students from Ely, Minnesota, and a secondary preference to Minnesota students from schools located within 100 miles of Ely.

THE BIRUTA K. SOMMER SCHOLARSHIP FUND was established in 1975 through a bequest from Biruta K. Sommer, a friend of the College, to assist students studying German literature.

THE KELLEY SRIVER ENDOWED SCHOLARSHIP was created in 2005 by Christina Kelley Sriver ’93 and Joe Kelley Sriver. Preference for these awards will be given to students who participate in or are eligible for the TRIO/SSS program. 

THE C.V. STARR SCHOLARSHIP FUND was established in 1987 to provide financial assistance to students connected with the Asian Studies Program.

THE NORMAN A. AND BETSY BULLIS STERRIE ENDOWED SCHOLARSHIP FUND was established in 2002 by Mr. and Mrs. Sterrie with the hope that they could help future Carleton students as they were helped when they were students at Carleton in 1939.

THE WILLIAM W. STOUT FUND was founded in 1959 through a bequest from William W. Stout.

THE SURDNA FOUNDATION SCHOLARSHIP was established in 1985 to assist minority students.

THE THURLO B. THOMAS SCHOLARSHIP FUND was established in 1972 by former students and friends of Dr. Thurlo B. Thomas, Professor of Zoology for 27 years. This fund assists students majoring in biology, preferably those who intend to pursue medicine as a career.

THE JAMES R. THORPE ENDOWED SCHOLARSHIP FUND was established through a bequest from James R. Thorpe, to assist students from Minnesota or the Upper Midwest (North Dakota, South Dakota, Iowa, and Wisconsin).

THE CAROLYN KLEPFER AND THOMAS OLIVER THORSEN ’53 ENDOWED SCHOLARSHIP was established in 2003 through the estate of Thomas O. Thorsen, Class of 1953. Preference for awards from this fund will be given to students from the Brainerd Lakes area with an interest in economics or to students majoring in economics.

THE GRETCHEN KAISERMAN TRAGER SCHOLARSHIP FUND was established in 1991 by Jacquelyn Trager Maguire, Class of 1947, and her husband Walter as a memorial to Jacquelyn’s mother Gretchen Kaiserman Trager, Class of 1918, to assist music majors.

THE U.S. BANK SCHOLARSHIP FUND (formerly The First National Bank of St. Paul Scholarship Fund) was established in 1969 by the board of directors of the bank.

THE ADDIE BIXBY UPHAM FUND was established in 1935 through a bequest from Warren Upham as a memorial to his wife, to provide assistance to students with rural backgrounds.

THE CORNELIA F. AND FRANCES O. VAIL ENDOWED MUSIC SCHOLARSHIP was established in 2003 by Judson F. Harmon, class of 1956. Mr. Harmon created this fund as a tribute to his grandmother, Cornelia Vail, and his aunt, Frances O. Vail, Carleton Class of 1923. The scholarship provides assistance to students studying music.

THE ELIZABETH WARREN AND FRANCES R. WARREN SCHOLARSHIP FUND was established in 1993 through a bequest from Frances R. Warren, Class of 1931, to assist worthy students with demonstrated financial need — students less fortunate than Frances and her sister Elizabeth Warren, Class of 1925.

THE WILLIAM W. WATSON MEMORIAL FUND was established in 1955 by Dr. Percy T. Watson, Class of 1903, and Mrs. Watson (Clara French), Class of 1903, as a memorial.

THE DR. ARTHUR WEILAND FUND was established in 1982 as a memorial to Dr. Arthur Weiland, Class of 1917.

THE FLORENCE RICE WELLMAN SCHOLARSHIP FUND was established in 1974 through a bequest from Florence R. Wellman, Class of 1908, to assist students studying chemistry or music.

THE MAY CRAVATH WHARTON FUND was established in 1960 through a bequest from William B. Cravath as a memorial to his sister, Dr. May Cravath Wharton, Class of 1894.

THE DAVID WHITCOMB SCHOLARSHIP FUND was established in 1887 by David Whitcomb to assist female students.

THE ELLEN M. WHITCOMB SCHOLARSHIP FUND was established in 1888 by David Whitcomb, in memory of his daughter Ellen, to assist children of missionaries and clergymen.

THE CHARLOTTE WILLARD SCHOLARSHIP FUND was established in 1959 through a bequest from Nellie Gregg Hurst, Class of 1898, in honor of Charlotte Willard, a former faculty member.

THE WINONA SCHOLARSHIP FUND was established by Mrs. Frances Laird Bell in 1917, to assist students from Winona County, Minnesota.

THE FRANK L. AND JOY G. WOLF ENDOWED SCHOLARSHIP FUND was established in 2000 by Joy G. Wolf, along with family, friends, and colleagues to honor Frank’s memory. Professor Wolf taught mathematics at Carleton from 1952 until his retirement in 1989. Students from Crow Wing, Aitkin, and Mille Lacs Counties of Minnesota are given preference for awards.

THE ARNOLD R. WOLFF SCHOLARSHIP was established in 1985 by Mr. Wolff, Class of 1940, as part of the College’s scholarship endowment for minority students.

THE BARBARA MARTIN WOODARD ENDOWED SCHOLARSHIP FUND was established in 1998 by Grant Woodard ‘45 in memory of his wife, Barbara, Class of 1945. This scholarship is awarded to one or more students whose educational interest is in social work.

THE W. SCOTT WOODWORTH MEMORIAL FUND was established in 1929 by Mr. and Mrs. Sumner T. McKnight to assist students of music.

THE YOUNG QUINLAN SCHOLARSHIP FUND was established in 1968 by the Young Quinlan Company of Minneapolis.

THE ALICE N. YOUNGS SCHOLARSHIP FUND was established in 1970 by Edwin B. Youngs, Class of 1963, as a memorial to his wife.