Embedded picture are not showing up in my Word 2003 documents after SP2 was installed on my Windows XP computer. What do I do?
Recently it has been reported that the Windows XP SP2 installation is causing a problem with Microsoft Word 2003 documents: embedded pictures are invisible and show up as place holders, only. To solve this problem, you need to install Service Pack 1 for Microsoft Office 2003. You can do the following steps to do this:
1. Open up Microsoft Word 2003
2. Go to Help and click check for updates. Make sure that the weblink opens up in Microsoft Internet Explorer (IE). If the link opens up in Mozilla or Firefox you can copy the link, open up IE and paste it in the address bar. You can also directly go to this website using the link http://office.microsoft.com/en-us/officeupdate/default.aspx
3. Once you are on the update page, click "Check for Updates"
4. IE may give you a secutiry warning. Just click "Yes" on this screen.
5. The website will then scan if the copy of Office 2003 on your computer needs updates or not. On the next screen it will show you "Office 2003 Service Pack 1 (English version)" and "Update for Outlook 2003 Junk Email Filter (KB892236)" under "REQUIRED UPDATES". Unselect the "Update for Outlook 2003 Junk Email Filter (KB892236)" box and click "Agree and Install" on the left side of the screen.
6. The downloader and the installer will run automatically. Be Patient - the download and installation can take up to 20 mins altogether. After the installation, the problem should be solved. Run a test in Word to see if this solution worked or not for your particular machine.