Subscribing to a Calendar
Did you know you can subscribe to any office/departmental Carleton event calendar? It's easy to do!
Desktop calendar software (Outlook, Apple iCal) and Mobile Device calendars (iPhone, iPad, Android)
- Go to the calendar in question
- Find the link "Subscribe to this calendar" at the bottom of the page.
- Click (or tap) the link. Your desktop calendar software should launch and add the Carleton event calendar to its subscriptions.
Web-based calendar software (Google Calendar, Zimbra)
- Go to the calendar in question.
- Find the link "Download Events" at the bottom of the page.
- Right-click on the link (or control-click, if you have a one-button Mac) to bring up a menu.
- Copy the link:
- Firefox: "Copy Link Location"
- Safari: "Copy Link"
- Internet Explorer: "Copy Shortcut"
- Chrome and Opera: "Copy Link Address"
- Go to your calendar program and add a subscription using the link you just copied. This option is called different things in different browsers:
- Go to the Calendar tab
- Click on the gear icon to the right of "Calendars"
- Choose "Add External Calendar (Other)", then click "Next"
- Select "iCal Subscription" from the type drop-down menu
- Paste the link you just copied into the "ICS URL" field, then click "Next"
- Give this subscription a name and pick what color you want it to have in your Zimbra calendar
- Check "Exclude this calendar when reporting free/busy times"
- Click "OK." The calendar will be added to your subscriptions.
- Google Calendar
- At the bottom of the left-hand calendar list, click "Add" and select "Add by URL"
- Paste in the web address you copied earlier
- Click "Add Calendar." The calendar will be added to the "Other Calendars" section.
Note: You may have noticed that you can subscribe to departmental events calendars but not the central events calendar. The Web Services Group is working on adding that ability to the central events calendar; we will update this article when the central events calendar is on board.