Managing Media in Reason
These instructions assume you already have a video or audio file that is prepped for the web. If your file is not web-ready, you'll need to prep it first. Audio files are easy -- just export an .mp3 file. Video files are a bit trickier -- see the video format & size guidelines page for more information. If you have difficulty, contact us and we will help you out.
Once you have web-ready video or audio:
- Log in to Reason: http://go.carleton.edu/reason
- Go to the site where you want to manage media
- Click Media Works
- Cick Add Media Work
- Enter the relevant descriptive information about the work. Note the comments under each field, which explain what to enter where.
- Click the Save & continue editing button.
- Click Media Files in the left-hand navigation
- Click Add Media File
- Select the file you want to import:
- If your file is smaller than 50mb, go to the "Upload File" field and click the "Browse" button to select the file you want to upload.
- If your file is larger than 50mb, follow these instructions for putting the files in your home folder, then reload the page and select the file from the "Import File" dropdown menu.
- Fill out the rest of the pertinent info on this form. If you don't know for sure that the media has beeen encoded for streaming, it is best to choose "progressive download" for the delivery method. If the file is a video, it is a good idea to provide the width and height of the video in pixels so that Reason can embed the video in the web page.
- Click the Save & continue editing button. This may take a minute to complete -- longer if the file is large. Once it is done, hit play on the preview to make sure that the import succeeded.
- Click Finish to complete the file upload. If There are additional files that are part of the same work -- for example, different size or quality versions -- go through steps 8-11 again for each file.
- If you have a still image that you would like to represent the media item (like a keyframe), import it by clicking Choose image and then Add image. Follow the instructions on the Reason image tutorial to import the image.
- Click Place work on page(s) and select the page where you want to publish the media. If it is not already, you may have to edit the page and make it a media page (on the page type field) so that it will show the media.
- Click Finish. Go to the public site and check to make sure that the media is playing properly. Ta da!