30 Minutes: Information for Volunteers
Volunteer for 30 Minutes!
After signing up, you'll receive a confirmation email with specific instructions, a structured time-line and other logistical information.
Questions? Email firstname.lastname@example.org.
(You'll be prompted to log in upon signing up.)
The 30 Minutes program connects alumni actively engaged in careers or fields with students interested in a specific job or industry. In just half an hour (hence the name), Carleton networking magic happens.
Until recently, volunteering for this program was limited to alumni within easy driving distance of Carleton. Now, thanks to Skype video chat, alumni can share their career wisdom from anywhere with an internet connection.
Alumni volunteers provide:
- information and advice about their field
- qualifications and entrance to career/career path
- educational and experience requirements
- resources/ideas about ways to gain experience in the field and related jobs
- referrals to colleagues/friends in or out of the Carleton network
Why it’s helpful to students:
- gets career exploration process started
- provides real-world/honest insight
- builds interpersonal skills and confidence
- provides practice for informational interviews
- provides experience with following-through and keeping in touch