Externships: Information for Volunteers
Volunteer for Externships!
After signing up, you'll receive a confirmation email with specific instructions, a structured time-line and other logistical information.
Questions? Contact us.
(You'll be prompted to log in upon signing up.)
Carleton’s Externship Program connects students with alumni or parent volunteers over winter break, spring break, or at the beginning or end of the summer for a short and highly active/engaged experience that usually includes a focus project, shadowing opportunities, and networking. Some externships include a homestay with the host. Fill out the Host Enrollment Form here.
Timeline for Spring Break 2014 Externships
- Through Dec. 31 – Identify externship hosts and sites, and gather descriptions to be posted for students
- Jan. 3 (Fri.) – Post externships in the Tunnel and start promoting them to students
- Jan. 29 (Wed. @ 5:00 pm) – Deadline for student applications to be submitted to the Tunnel
- Jan. 31 (Fri.) – Applicant packets emailed to hosts for review & for selection of students for interviews.
- Feb. 3 – 10 – Hosts conduct phone, Skype, or in-person interviews with students.
- Feb. 11 (Tue.) – Hosts notify Brian/CAs about their selections.
- Feb. 12 (Wed.) – Notifications sent by Brian to students selected/not selected
- Mar. 18 (Tue.) – Mar. 28 (Fri.) – Spring Break. Time for externs to be on site at Host organizations (any dates within this timeframe).
- a 1-4 week career exploration experience that includes focused projects/presentations, attending meetings, and/or shadowing and meeting with other colleagues in other departments, etc.
- can include home-stays with the externship host, but students can also find lodging elsewhere
- long-term mentoring
Why It's Helpful:
- in-depth industry/job knowledge
- gain professional experience
- direct feedback/coaching
- high-level, relationship-centered, professional mentoring
- opportunity to network