Externships: Information for Volunteers
Volunteer for Externships!
After signing up, you'll receive a confirmation email with specific instructions, a structured time-line and other logistical information.
Questions? Contact us.
(You'll be prompted to log in upon signing up.)
Carleton’s Externship Program connects students with alumni or parent volunteers over winter break for a short and highly active/engaged experience that usually includes a focus project, shadowing opportunities, and networking. Some externships include housing with the host, but this is not required.
Timeline for Spring Break 2015 Externships
- Through January 14 (Wed.) - Identify externship hosts and sites, and gather descriptions to be posted for students.
- January 14 (Wed.) - Post externships in the Tunnel and start promoting them to students.
- January 29 (Thu., @ 5:00 pm) - Deadline for student applications to be submitted to the Tunnel.
- January 30 (Fri.) - Applicant packets emailed to hosts for review & for selection of students for interviews.
- January 31 - February 11 (Fri. - Wed.) - Hosts conduct phone, Skype, or in-person interviews with students.
- February 12 (Thu.) - Hosts notify Brian about their selections.
- February 12 (Thu.) - Notifications sent by Brian to students selected/not selected.
- March 17 (Tue.) - March 27 (Fri.) - Spring Break. Time for externs to be on site at Host organizations (any dates within this time frame).
- a 1-4 week career exploration experience that includes shadowing and meeting with colleagues in other departments, attending meetings, networking, focused projects/presentations, etc.
- can include housing with the externship host, but this is not required
- short- or long-term mentoring
Why It's Helpful:
- in-depth industry/job knowledge
- gain professional experience
- direct feedback/coaching
- high-level, relationship-centered, professional mentoring
- opportunity to network