Carleton Internship Program
Logistics and Particulars
- Students apply for internships via our job/internship database The Tunnel: keyword search "Carleton and Summer and Internships"
- Typical application process includes submission of a resume, cover letter followed by interviews
- The Career Center does not cover the cost of travel and/or housing during summer internships
- Internships can be as short as 5 weeks and as long as 16 weeks; (8-10 is the norm for students on the term or trimester calendar)
- Internships can be paid or unpaid
- Carleton does not grant credit for work experience; students may arrange an Independent Study course with a sponsoring faculty member, but the credit will key to the follow-up project based on the internship, not on the work itself
- Although each internship experience is unique given the sector of work and the size of the company (and many other factors), we believe that the higher the level of immersion, the better basis for decision-making and commitment to a field, discipline, or industry
- Carleton-affiliated internships should try to incorporate bi-weekly, or monthly, check-in meetings with student interns for mentoring and/or networking purposes
- Gain real world experience and perspective in a given field and insight into the field’s professional culture
- Gain and expand a professional network
- Accumulate and establish a new set of skills
- Establish a relationship with Carleton-affiliated and other potential mentors
- The opportunity to "test drive" a career (is this something I want to pursue, or not?)
- A possible job opportunity in the future
- Information about internal and external internship opportunities as well as funding sources for internships
- Fill out an application to host a Carleton student as an intern with your organization.
- The Career Center would like to determine how many students are completing internships and how we can assist more students in pursuing them. Please help us help you by filling out this quick survey about your internship experiences during your time at Carleton.