Carleton Scholars Program: Information for Volunteers
Volunteer for Carleton Scholars!
After signing up, you'll receive a confirmation email with specific instructions, a structured time-line and other logistical information.
Questions? Contact us.
(You'll be prompted to log in upon signing up.)
Carleton’s Scholars Program consists of exploratory industry tours that typically last 3–4 days at the beginning of winter break. The tours introduce a group of students to a variety of organizations within a particular field of interest (e.g., public policy, green tech, business/finance, film/television, public health/medicine, etc.). These tours include site visits, panel discussions, receptions, and group reflection. Some programs include home-stays with recent alumni in the area.
- site visits to workplace
- panel participation
- referrals to other organizations
- home-stays (when applicable)
- possible reception venue
- active networking/advice at reception
Why it’s helpful:
- the ideal exploration experience of a certain sector/industry
- good exposure for Carleton and its students
- specific industry knowledge and skills
- familiarity with basic, day-to-day job functions
- connections with possible contacts/mentors for future jobs/internships within an industry or field of interest
- effective job search skills: resume writing, networking, self-presentation
- teamwork, active reflection on learning