Carleton Scholars Program: Information for Volunteers
Volunteer for Carleton Scholars!
After signing up, you'll receive a confirmation email with specific instructions, a structured time-line and other logistical information.
Questions? Email firstname.lastname@example.org.
(You'll be prompted to log in upon signing up.)
Carleton’s Scholars Program consists of exploratory industry tours that typically last 3–4 days at the beginning of winter break. The tours introduce a group of students to a variety of organizations within a particular field of interest (e.g., public policy, green tech, business/finance, film/television, public health/medicine, etc.). These tours include site visits, panel discussions, receptions, and group reflection. Some programs include home-stays with recent alumni in the area.
- site visits to workplace
- panel participation
- referrals to other organizations
- home-stays (when applicable)
- possible reception venue
- active networking/advice at reception
Why it’s helpful:
- the ideal exploration experience of a certain sector/industry
- good exposure for Carleton and its students
- specific industry knowledge and skills
- familiarity with basic, day-to-day job functions
- connections with possible contacts/mentors for future jobs/internships within an industry or field of interest
- effective job search skills: resume writing, networking, self-presentation
- teamwork, active reflection on learning