Internships allow you to:
- Gain insight on your career direction: experience potential areas of interest and explore career fields that you may not have considered.
- Test out different work environments: evaluate how office cultures and settings best fit you and your work style.
- Build your resume and develop skills: identify and develop your transferable career-related liberal arts skills.
- Shape and grow your professional network.
- Practice the job search process.
Participating in one or two internships is an essential part of your Carleton education. It is one of the best ways to gain valuable experience, fine-tune your career aspirations, and explore and connect your academics to and beyond the classroom. But, here’s what is really important: employers and graduate programs now expect competitive candidates to have a minimum of two significant experiential learning experiences (e.g., internships, research, collegiate athletics, leadership positions, service learning or volunteer work) as part of your college experience.