Internships help you to:
- Integrate your academic and professional interests;
- Explore different work settings;
- Enrich your story to share with potential employers;
- Build your resume and develop skills;
- Grow your professional network; and,
- Find a job after college.
Participating in at least one internship is an essential part of your Carleton education. It is one of the best ways to gain valuable experience, explore your career aspirations, and connect your academics beyond the classroom. Through an internship, you can identify and develop your transferable career-related liberal arts skills that make you more competitive in a job search. And, an internship can enable you to develop your personal narrative reflecting your interests, motivations, and your hopes for the future.
Employers and graduate programs now expect competitive candidates to have a minimum of two significant experiential learning experiences (e.g., internships, research, collegiate athletics, leadership positions, service learning, and volunteer work) as part of your college experience. In addition, they often hire successful former interns!