Richard T. Newman Family Fund for Language Study Internships
Purpose: Carleton College gratefully acknowledges the establishment of the Richard T. Newman Family Fund for Language Study Internships.
This fund is intended to support and encourage Carleton students to pursue internships in foreign countries that can lead to career opportunities in the field of foreign languages. The awards will be made competitively. The primary language used in the internship shall be one of the languages offered at Carleton: Arabic, Chinese, French, German, Greek, Hebrew, Japanese, Latin, Russian, and Spanish.
Funding: The grants may cover expenses such as application fees, program fees, transportation to and from the site, lodging and meals during the internships for a total grant not to exceed $5,000. A stipend to cover partial lost wages from a summer job ($2,000 maximum) may be available for students on need-based financial aid. Together, internship costs plus lost summer wages cannot exceed the $5000 limit. Award amount will be at the discretion of the selection committee.
Please indicate if you are receiving any other funding for the internship and how much. The grant will be paid in two installments. Half will be paid at the beginning of the internship and the balance will be paid at completion of the Bring Back Session during the Fall term. A work evaluation of the student by the work supervisor will be required before the final payment is made.
Deadline: Monday, March 3rd at 5:00 pm.
Timeline: A faculty committee will review all applications and select students to be awarded grants. Alternates may also be selected. Students will then be notified and have one week to accept the fellowship. If a student or students do not accept, alternates will then be notified. The review process could take up to two weeks.
- Grants are intended for students to fund internships during their summer break. Other possibilities might also be considered.
- Non-senior students in any discipline are eligible. Seniors are not eligible.
- All applicants must be in good academic standing.
- Recipients will not receive academic credit nor conduct research.
- International students are eligible but must see Luyen Phan, Assistant Director of Intercultural and International Life, about visa requirements in leaving and reentering the U.S.
Selection Criteria: Grants will be competitively awarded based on a review of all application materials. Award recipients will be determined by a selection committee of Carleton faculty and staff.
Students must first apply (in the fall or winter term) to the organizations sponsoring the service internship. This process needs to start early since these programs can fill up, have long lead times, or an extensive application process.
The application process is a two-step process. Please refer to the Internship Funding Application Information for detailed instructions.
- Complete the Internship Funding Application Form
- Complete the Budget Proposal Worksheet
- Print out and have a faculty member complete the Faculty Recommendation Form (Note: It is your responsibility to ask a faculty member to fill out the recommendation form. Please give the recommender a copy of your application materials and provide them with 30 days notice. If the recommender is not able to meet the deadline, please ask someone else. It is your responsibility to see that the recommendation form is received by the deadline.)
Apply for funding in The Tunnel:
- Find the appropriate Carleton Exclusive Fellowship/Scholarship Application in the Tunnel. Go to the student home page. Click on the “Carleton Exclusive Fellowship/Scholarship” link in the “Shortcuts” section on the right. Look for 2014 Richard T. Newman Family Fund for Language Study Internships Application.
- Upload the Required Documents. In order to submit an application for a scholarship you must upload all the required documents BEFORE the Tunnel will allow you to submit your application. Required documents include:
- A PDF copy of your Internship Funding Application Form
- Personal Statement
- Current Resume
- A PDF copy of your Budget Proposal Worksheet
- Unofficial Transcript
- Internship organization commitment letter
Note: It is your responsibility to ask a faculty member to fill out the recommendation form. Please give the recommender a copy of your application materials and provide them with 30 days notice. If the recommender is not able to meet the deadline, please ask someone else. It is your responsibility to see that the recommendation form is received by the deadline.
Contact:Andrea Kubinski at the Career Center at 507-222-4293 or email@example.com with any questions.