Here are some questions that may give you a better idea of a profession. Alums are eager to talk about what they do, so don't worry about imposing. Ask away!
- What is the outlook for this field?
- What are the major issues? The big picture?
- What do you wish you had known about this field when your were my age?
- How do you spend your average day?
- Do you like what you do? What are your greatest frustrations at work?
- Do you work autonomously, or in a team? How much flexibility do you have?
- How can I best prepare for this field - through coursework, extracurricular activities, or professional associations?
- What are the main obstacles to entering the field?
- Is there on-the-job training?
- What about advancement opportunities? What is a typical career path?
- What advice do you have about my résumé?
- What books or professional journals might be useful to read?
- What people or organizations would it be helpful for me to contact for information?
- If relevant: Are there any special advantages or disadvantages for women in your field or organization?