Externships: Information for Volunteers
Volunteer for Externships!
After signing up, you'll receive a confirmation email with specific instructions, a structured time-line and other logistical information.
Questions? Contact us.
(You'll be prompted to log in upon signing up.)
Carleton’s Externship Program connects students with alumni or parent volunteers over winter break for a short and highly active/engaged experience that usually includes a focus project, shadowing opportunities, and networking. Some externships include housing with the host, but this is not required.
Timeline for December 2015 Externships
- Through Aug. 31 (Mon.) – Identify externship hosts and sites, and gather descriptions to be posted for students.
- By Sep. 4 (Fri.) – Externship descriptions posted in the Tunnel (Carleton's externship/internship database) and promotion to students begins.
- Oct. 8 (Thu.) – Deadline for student externship applications to be submitted to the Tunnel.
- Oct. 9 (Fri.) – Applicant packets emailed to hosts for review & for selection of students for interviews.
- Oct. 10-27 (Sat.-Tue.) – Hosts contact students and conduct phone, Skype, or in-person interviews. Hosts notify Brian as to which students they will NOT interview; Brian notifies students not selected for an interview.
- Oct. 30 (Fri.) – Absolute deadline for hosts to notify Brian about their selections.
- On or before Oct. 30 (Fri.) – Brian sends notifications to students selected/not selected.
- Weeks of Oct. 26-30 and Nov. 2-6 (Mon.-Fri.) – Orientation sessions for all Winter Break externs.
- Nov. 30-Dec. 18 – Time for externs to be on site at Host organizations.
- a 1-3 week career exploration experience that includes shadowing and meeting with colleagues in other departments, attending meetings, networking, focused projects/presentations, etc.
- can include housing with the externship host, but this is not required
- short- or long-term mentoring
Why It's Helpful:
- in-depth industry/job knowledge
- gain professional experience
- direct feedback/coaching
- high-level, relationship-centered, professional mentoring
- opportunity to network