Seeds Farm is a four-acre sustainable, diverse farm just one mile south of Northfield. We produce over 100 varieties of delicious vegetables. We also raise happy laying hens and several contented hogs in our pastures.
Our farm is unique in that we don’t just grow vegetables--we have programming for children and families that involves them in food production. We provide land and support for Main Street Project, which manages an incubator project for Latino free-range poultry production (www.mainstreetproject.org). Summer camps and school classrooms visit and engage in the farm. Also unique is that a portion of what we grow at Seeds Farm is donated to the local food shelf feeding families experiencing hard times.
We encourage college students from both Carleton and St. Olaf Colleges to use our land as a laboratory for environmental and/or biological experiments. College students are also involved as interns during spring and fall semesters, both for academic credit and for hire during the growing season.
Seeds Farm also loves Bon Appétit! We sell wholesale vegetables to Bon Appétit to both Carleton and St. Olaf. We were honored to be judges at Carleton College’s “Iron Chef” competition last year--the food was fantastic! We are thrilled to partner with Bon Appétit and look forward to bringing you a delicious farm experience.
Some notes on the new partnership:
CSA stands for “Community Supported Agriculture.” This is a model where individuals purchase a “share” of the farm before the season starts, and then receive a full box of fresh seasonal vegetables weekly during the growing season. Seeds Farm will be delivering boxes of vegetables weekly on Carleton Campus. The season is approximately 16-18 weeks starting sometime in June. Other great benefits that you will receive include:
• Weekly newsletter with recipes by Bon Appétit chefs and stories from college interns and employees;
• Access to our online media component, “Life on the Farm;”
• Free admission to all Seeds Farm events including our Spring Celebration, Bon Appétit Cooking Demos, a Food on the Farm meal prepared by Bon Appétit, and more;
• Free access for children to participate in our weekly “Kid’s Garden Days.”
We are also pleased to offer a variety of extra CSA “add-ons” that you can sign up for:
• A new children’s educational program, “Budding Farmers” (www.buddingfarmers.com for more information);
• Flower share add-on: every other week you will receive a beautiful bouquet of flowers from Brad & Toni Easterson;
• Egg share: a dozen eggs weekly from Seeds Farm chickens.
You can also purchase pasture-raised Seeds Farm pork and naturally-raised Main Street Project chickens, email for prices (firstname.lastname@example.org)
For more information, please visit www.seedsfarmproject.com.