Resources Available to the Community
The Carleton campus has many services and facilities available to the community, including:
- Arboretum: The Cowling Arboretum offers over 800 acres of natural land available to visitors looking for a peaceful place to walk, run, ski, fish, or simply enjoy being outdoors.
- Arts: The Perlman Teaching Museum and Gould Library both offer art exhibitions, lectures and other events that are always free and open to the public. Also, numerous student art organizations present public performances throughout the academic year.
- Bookstores: The Carleton Bookstore offers a great selection of merchandise and a knowledgeable staff to serve the reading public.
- Convocations: Carleton's weekly Convocations take place every Friday morning at 10:50 a.m. in the Skinner Memorial Chapel. Convocations are open to the public, free of charge and intended to promote discussion outside the classroom on a broad range of subjects.
- Dining: Carleton's Dining Services offers food in three different campus locations, all of which are open to visitors.
- Observatory: Carleton's historic Goodsell Observatory holds an open house on the first Friday of every month. All members of the community are welcome to come and view the skies, provided they're cloudless.
- Library: Gould Library welcomes members of the community to view the many library exhibitions, attend numerous events, and register to check out circulating materials.
- Music: The academic calendar is packed with musical events. Public events are listed on the Music Events Calendar.
- Recreation Center: Guests of students, faculty, and staff may use the Recreation Center facilities at no charge, provided they are accompanied by their Carleton sponsor.
- Sporting Events: The public is welcome to attend sporting events hosted by all of Carleton's 19 varsity sports. All athletic events are free of charge (excluding MIAC Playoff and NCAA Championship events).
- Worship Services: The Office of the Chaplain hosts weekly worship services and special religious holiday celebrations representing a variety of faiths. Information is on the Chapel Schedule of Events.