Creative Services handles all stationery orders for the College. Standard stationery can be ordered online from Engage Print, and non-standard stationery can be ordered by submitting an order form to the publications office.
How to Order Standard Stationery Online
- Go to Engage Print's online ordering page. By 'Department' enter your four-digit telephone extension. By 'Password' enter Carlenary (case-sensitive).
- Click on the product you would like to order.
- Fill out the entirety of the form, including the quantity, all of the information that appears on your item (even if it is a reprint), and your contact information. If you would like to include extra information such as additional phone numbers or a Web site, you may explain that in the special instructions box at the bottom. When you have entered everything, click Submit Order.
- You will be taken to a confirmation page that will review your order. Do not close your Web browser. Click the Submit Order button at the bottom of the page. (If you do not do this, your order will not go through.)
- You will see a page that thanks you for your order, and you should receive a confirmation e-mail (sent to the address you entered under contact information) within a minute or two. If you do not receive a confirmation order, contact Kayla Berger in the publications office (firstname.lastname@example.org or x4181) to see if your order went through.
How to Order Non-Standard Stationery
Non-standard orders can be placed using paper order forms available for download in pdf format on the right. The order forms and any attached samples can be campus mailed to 1-PUBLIC or delivered to the publications office in Leighton 404. If you order new or revised stationery, you will receive a proof to confirm the layout before your stationery is printed.
After You Order
- If you ordered a new or revised item, you will receive a pdf proof before it is printed. (Proofs are not sent for direct reprints.)
- Letterhead and envelopes should arrive within two weeks of ordering. Rush orders are available—contact Kayla Berger at x4181 to discuss your timetable.
- Business cards are printed four at a time to increase efficiency. Your order will be held until a complete run is ready, and then a proof for all four cards will be sent at once. Because of this, business cards can take up to six weeks to arrive (average turnaround time is three to four weeks). Individual rush orders are available at an additional cost—contact Kayla Berger at x4181 to discuss your timetable.
- When your order is complete, it will be delivered to the publications office in Leighton 404. You will receive a call advising you that your order is ready to be picked up. (If you have a large order, you may contact Kayla Berger at x4181 to request direct delivery to your office.)
Below are the base charges for standard stationery. Any changes to the proof could result in additional charges. Note that letterhead and envelopes #10 or smaller have two charges—one for the printing and one for the paper—since the publications office pre-orders the stationery paper in bulk. The printing charge will be from an Engage Print invoice and the paper charge will be an internal charge-back from the publications office.
- Letterhead: $76 for 500 sheets; $95 for 1,000 sheets
- #10 envelopes: $76 for 500; $110 for 1,000
- Business cards (run four names at a time): $36 for 250; $72 for 500
- Business cards (individual rush order): $66 for 250; $99 for 500
Standard stationery conforms to the following criteria:
- printed only in Carleton blue
- printed on only one side
- conforms to all regular layout protocols for Carleton stationery (see criteria for letterhead, envelopes, business cards, and notepads below)
- uses the one north college street mailing address
- does not incorporate any program-specific logos
- does not have any printing in a foreign language
- does not contain multiple phone numbers or contact information not included in letterhead, business card, or notepad layouts
- does not have any embossing
Style and Consistency of College Stationery
Adhering to the following guidelines when ordering stationery can help expedite the proofreading process.
- Academic departments should be identified as "Department of ..." (i.e. Department of English, Department of Cinema and Media Studies, etc.)
- Administrative offices should be identified as "Office of ..." (i.e. Office of the Dean of Students, Office of Publications, etc.) There are certain exceptions to this rule, such as the Career Center or the Business Office. However, unless your office has a name that precludes the use of this formal naming convention, you must use it.
- There are no periods in 'PhD' or in other acdemic degree abbreviations. It may be useful to note that advanced degrees are rarely noted on Carleton stationery for faculty members (since a very large proportion of Carleton faculty members hold the highest degree available in their field), but you may include such notations after the name if you wish.
- All zip code extensions have been deleted from return addresses on College stationery. If you are ordering a reprint of older stationery that uses a zip code extension, it will be automatically deleted. Do not request the inclusion of a zip code extension in return addresses.
- Proofread your orders carefully both when you are placing them and when you are reviewing proofs of new or revised stationery. If Northfield Printing has to make changes to correct typos or misspellings made by the person placing the order, an additional charge will apply. If stationery with mistakes that were not corrected during the proofing process is printed, Northfield Printing and the Office of Publications will not assume responsibility for reprinting costs.
Letterhead is available for order online in two sizes: full sheet (8.5x11) and half sheet (5.5x8.5). All standard letterhead contains the Carleton address centered at the top. All other elements are optional. An example of standard letterhead is pictured below.
If you would like to make very simple changes to this layout (such as changing the fax number to another unlabeled number or adding a Web site) you can explain those modifications in the comments field on the online ordering page. More significant layout modifications will require placing a paper order through the publications office. Letterhead may have no more than three lines of text on each side.
Envelopes are available for order online in six sizes: #10, #9 (reply), 6.75 (fits half sheet letter), 6x9, 9x12, and 10x13. For 6x9 and larger envelopes, you will be asked to specify whether you would like booklet (opens on long side) or catalog (opens on short side) envelopes. All standard envelopes have the name of a department and the standard Carleton mailing address. The Carleton address is centered in the return address area on envelopes sizes #10 and smaller and is aligned to the left on larger envelopes. Examples of standard return addresses on small and large envelopes are pictured below.
If you would like any additional options (including additional printing such as 'Address service requested' or a window envelope), you must place a paper order through the publications office.
Standard business cards are available in only one format. All business cards have the College seal and wordmark at the top, followed by the faculty or staff member's name and department. The College mailing address is always in the lower left corner, but the elements in the lower right corner are optional. Also, it is possible to order cards with only general department contact information by leaving the name field blank. An example of a standard business card is pictured below.
If you would like to make very simple changes to this layout (such as changing the fax number to another unlabeled phone number or adding a Web site) you can explain those modifications in the comments field on the online ordering page. More significant layout modifications will require placing a paper order through the publications office. Business cards may have no more than three lines of text on each side, and should not have more than two lines devoted to the title and department. If the business card is too cluttered, you will be asked to remove some of the information listed on it.
Standard notepads come in two versions: a half sheet (5.5x8.5) notepad with the same layout as halfsheet letterhead, or a quarter sheet (4.25x5.5) notepad that reads "From the Desk of... Your Name" at the top and has the College wordmark at the bottom. Examples of both styles are pictured below.
Like halfsheet letterhead, halfsheet notepads have several optional fields, and small modifications can be made using the comments field on the online ordering page. The quarter sheet notepad layout, however, cannot be modified and can only include one name.