News from the African/African American Studies department
- September 15, 2014 at 3:20 pm
Jan-Lodewijk Grootaers on "Visions from the Forests: The Art of Liberia and Sierra Leone"
Sunday, September 21
Minneapolis Institute of Art
Jan-Lodewijk Grootaers, curator of African Art and head of the Arts of Africa and the Americas at the MIA, offers insights into “Visions from the Forests: The Art of Liberia and Sierra Leone,” a new exhibition featuring 75 artworks collected by William Siegmann, a Minneapolis native and former curator of African art at the Brooklyn Museum of Art. Covering a period from the 15th to the late 20th centuries, the exhibition provides an overview of the region’s traditional art forms such as masks, wooden and stone statuary, metalwork, and textiles.
Musu Bryant-Bah, a local community leader from West Africa, will join Grootaers at the end of his talk to address the current situation in Liberia, Sierra Leone and Guinea and the impact of Ebola.
$10; $5 MIA members; free to African Art Affinity Members. To register, call (612) 870-6323
- February 25, 2013 at 9:44 am
- January 30, 2013 at 9:17 am
30 Min. Session with Trustee Margaret Simms
- October 29, 2012 at 2:17 pm
- October 24, 2012 at 2:08 pm
- June 8, 2012 at 10:46 am
- April 26, 2012 at 10:10 am
- March 15, 2012 at 1:47 pm
Black History Month event with U.S. Ambassador Locke and History alum Claire Du '08
- January 30, 2012 at 10:10 am
- January 30, 2012 at 9:54 am
- January 6, 2012 at 11:58 am
- December 13, 2011 at 2:24 pm