Boliou Memorial Hall is home to the Department of Art and Art History. Finished in 1949, the building is a paradigm of modern architectural style. Its glass and stone walls were designed as flat screens bounding the interior space of the building. In 1995, Boliou underwent an extensive renovation and expansion, yet maintained the architectural integrity of the original design. It is today a facility with fully up-to-date, well-equipped studios, classrooms, woodshop, auditorium, and Visual Resources Library. The renovation also made important improvements in safety and organization.
The studios are constantly busy with activity. A comfortable lounge lined with art magazines serves students at practically every time of the day and night. Lectures by visiting scholars and artists as well as art history review sessions draw both large and small groups to Boliou. Small seminar rooms are open long hours to provide review material for Art History and Studio courses and places for small group discussions. Because Boliou is linked to the Mathematics and Computer Sciences building, students have easy access to computing facilities.
An open studio for life drawing from models is organized by students throughout the academic year to offer additional drawing opportunities to all, whether or not they are enrolled in a drawing course. Posters advertising out- of -class drawing sessions are displayed prominently in Boliou.
In-Session Boliou Hours: