Top Ten Reasons to Take Ancient Greek
10. Greek 101 isn’t offered until the Winter term, so you can use that slot to explore something else in the Fall.
9. Learning Greek opens the door to the amazing literature and culture of Ancient Greece. Plus the Greeks were the first in the West to study history, philosophy and math – why not go straight to the source and see what this looks like in the original language?
8. Everybody takes Chinese – dare to be different!
7. If you’re thinking about studying archaeology, religion or philosophy you’ll find it extremely useful; it’s great for pre-med (bio terms are often from Greek roots) and pre-law students too.
6. We have a jolly and intimate department.
5. Modern Greek is closely related to ancient, so you’ll have a leg up when you go island-hopping in the Mediterranean.
4. It will improve your writing in English by both expanding your vocabulary and making you understand grammatical structures more clearly.
3. Face it: it just looks so cool! (μῆνιν ἄειδε θεὰ Πηληϊάδεω Ἀχιλῆος…)
2. Forget about asking where the bathrooms are; in Greek you’ll be prosecuting people for corrupting the youth in no time.
1. You get our fabulous Greek t-shirt when you complete the beginning sequence!
For more information see Why Study Classics?