PIL (Python Imaging Library) for Python 2.x
PIL (aka the Python Imaging Library) is used in many of the Carleton College Intro CS courses. NOTE: PIL is NOT available for Python 3. This page contains installation instructions for Python 2.x:
WINDOWS XP and Vista and 7:
- The latest downloads of PIL for windows can be found at http://www.pythonware.com/products/pil/.
- Download the current release: http://effbot.org/downloads/PIL-1.1.7.win32-py2.7.exe
- Double click on the downloaded executable. And that will install PIL.
- Download the installer: https://www.enthought.com/downloads/canopy/osx-32/free/
- Run the installer and follow the instructions
- Run Canopy once
- Your python shell should now be using Enthought's version of python. This will contain PIL
If you want to investigate other options talk to Mike Tie, or look at MacPorts
If you have any questions about installing PIL for Windows, Mac, or any other operating system, please contact Michael Tie (firstname.lastname@example.org x4067)
If you having trouble with a laptop, you can even bring your computer to Mike Tie (cmc 305) for help.