Licensure Program Applicant Interview
When your application materials are complete, you will be scheduled for an interview with one member of the Educational Studies Department and one member of the Teacher Education Committee. This interview is an important part of the application process and is designed to give you an opportunity to talk about your commitment to teaching and your reasons for deciding to pursue licensure at Carleton. The record of your interview will become part of your application materials to be considered during the next meeting of the Teacher Education Committee.
The interview generally takes place several days before the upcoming Teacher Education Committee meeting. The application interview is informal, addresses issues such as the sample list below, and takes place in the office of the department chair. The department office will contact you to determine when you are available and will later notify you of the date and time scheduled for your interview.
Sample Interview Questions
- When did you decide to become a teacher? Why do you want to teach?
- Why do you think you would be a good teacher?
- How do you answer people who try to dissuade you from entering the profession of teaching.
- Describe the teaching setting you think you might be most comfortable in.
- What do you enjoy the most about your major? Why do you want to teach in this disciplinary area?
- What are your areas of strength and weakness as you contemplate student teaching?
- How do you view teaching students with special needs?
- What kind of student were you in school and how will it influence you as a teacher?
- What do you imagine yourself doing five years from now?
- Describe your most influential teacher. To what degree did that teacher inspire you to pursue licensure?
- Describe any experience with young people you’ve had that you think is relevant to teaching.
- What are some of the greatest challenges facing public education today? How do you think you might contribute to a solution?
- Is there anything else you’d like to add?