Carleton College English Department
Welcome to the Carleton College English Department, located on the Second and Third floors of Laird Hall. For information about our department, please browse our site. Use the sidebar and the links below to navigate our pages.
While an English major still begins with the study of works of fiction, poetry, and drama from the British and American traditions, we also explore the shifting nature of these traditions by examining American regional, African American, Irish, post colonial, Native American, and Asian American literatures.
The English Department is a lively place. The entire second floor hallway of Laird is our lounge, with tables and benches filled with students and faculty, reading, talking, and meeting. The faculty are there much of the time with their office doors open.
Department of English, Laird Hall, Carleton College, One North College St., Northfield, MN 55057
Phone: 507-222-4322, Fax: 507-222-5601, Administrative Assistant's email: email@example.com
- A comprehensive view of Carleton's Department of English.
- Short biographies and photos of the English faculty and staff, including emeritus professors.
- Information about the English Department's Courses. (1) Schedule of Classes for 2012-2013. (2) Schedule of Classes for 2013-14 (3) Proposed Schedule of Classes for 2014-2015 (4)Current English course descriptions (5) English course descriptions for 2013-2014, including A&I courses for Fall Term 2013.
- (1) A Guide for English Majors: The English faculty roster and a guide to the requirements for graduating with a major in English. (2) Information about the English Department's Integrative Exercises,including the four new options: Colloquium, Research Essay, Creative Writing, and Project. (3)Information about the faculty's teaching and office hours. (4) Information about journals, conferences, and contests for undergraduates.
- Guide to the English Department's offerings for new students and non-majors.
- Look ahead to up-coming English Department Events.
- A description of Carleton's Writing Requirement and guidelines for fulfilling it.
- Creative Writing Courses: 2012-2013
- Information about the Creative Writing Contests sponsored by Carleton College, including the Nick Adams Short Story Contest organized by the Associated Colleges of the Midwest.
- Guide to the English Department's off-campus study programs in London and Ireland
- English Department's distinguished visitors, scholars, and writers, along with the dates of their visits.
- English Department photo galleries from 2003-present.
- The weekly newsletter of the English Department.
- The annual literary conference by and for Carleton Senior English Majors
- Paul Auster will conduct a master class on short story writing at Carleton College on Thursday, February 21, 2013. The time for the session is 4:00 - 5:30 p.m., and it will be held in Leighton Hall, Room 402. Stories by Carleton students will be featured, including works by Sarah Olson, Dan Peck, Avery Rux, and Ellie Schmidt.