India is undergoing massive transformations in land cover and land use, with alarming implications for sustainability. Dr. Nagendra's research examines how human-nature interactions influence land change and impact conservation. She will discuss research on two important, interlinked types of land change taking place across India – deforestation and urbanization. The first part of the presentation will focus on deforestation, and the role of local self-governance in promoting forest protection and recovery. The second part of the presentation examines the recently accelerated phenomenon of urbanization in India, and its impact on ecological sustainability.
Dr. Nagendra serves as:
- A Lead Author of the IPCC 5th Assessment Report
- Department of Science and Technology Ramanujan Fellow, Ashoka Trust for Research in Ecology & the Environment (ATREE), Bangalore
- Asia Research Coordinator, Center for the Study of Institutions, Population & Environmental Change (CIPEC), Indiana University
- Member, Scientific Committees of Diversitas and the Global Land Project
- Hubert H. Humphrey Visiting Professor, Macalester College Geography Department