Requirements for the Geology Major
[Intro Geology Students Evaluate Lyman Lakes Water Chemistry]
- An introductory geology course
- Any introductory GEO course that includes a laboratory section. This requirement may be waived for juniors who come to geology from another science major.
- 36 credits from the 200- and 300-level Geology course offerings
- Six credits toward the major can be counted from any single off-campus program where appropriate, with a maximum of twelve credits toward the major from all off-campus programs.
- Geology students should take three or four 200-level courses before taking 300-level courses.
- Biology 348 may count toward the geology major only if Biology 349 is taken concurrently.
- Complete six credits of Geology 400, Integrative Exercise and attend seminars associated with comps
- Six credits of Physics from courses numbered 131 and above
- Six credits of Chemistry from courses numbered 123 and above
- Twelve credits of Mathematics from Math101 and courses numbered Math111 and above; Computer Science courses numbered 111 and above may count for six credits of the mathematics requirement.
[Baraboo Field Trip, May 2008] Geology majors are encouraged to participate in a recognized field camp and take part in summer research opportunities.
These requirements for the geology major are considered to be minimal; students planning a career in geology or the earth sciences should take several additional courses in mathematics and other sciences as well as geology. Students interested in earth science education should discuss their plans with Ms. Savina because a number of specific courses must be taken for teacher certification.