Careers, Internships and Grad School
The study of history at Carleton equips students to pursue any career with success. Through their work in the major, when combined with the strong liberal arts training received at Carleton, our majors gain not only broad and deep historical and cultural knowledge but also skills vital to success in all careers. Our majors:
- know where and how to find information quickly
- can cope effectively with large quantities of data in diverse forms
- know how to evaluate critically the information provided by sources and experts
- can integrate ideas and information from a variety of sources
- can design and execute independent projects
- can express themselves with clarity, economy, and elegance
After Carleton, our majors pursue a wide variety of career paths and the Department seeks to support each person in achieving success, whether in business, the professions, education and academia, public service, the arts, and many, many other callings.
If you are a student, we encourage you to investigate:
- Talk with our Departmental Career Advisor (Bill North) about your career and grad school interests and goals
- Connect with the Carleton Career Center and get to know their staff and resources
- Career Center's Career Guides Program
- Enroll in the Carleton Career Center Tunnel to receive announcements about opportunities in your interest areas
- Investigate the Carleton Pathways initiative and the career information from History alumni & faculty!
- Talk with History Department Alumni Career Consultants about fields that interest you!
- For students and alumni: Job Postings and Internships to find jobs and internships.
- Index of Graduate Studies in History Programs
If you are an alum, let us know how we may support you as your career progresses and please let us know whether you would like to support our students as a career resource, mentor, or by simply letting us know about job opportunities in your area.
Departmental Career and Graduate School Advisor for 2015-2016:
Bill North (firstname.lastname@example.org)