Opportunities in Statistics
Here is a sampling of internships, job descriptions, and educational programs that involve statistics, or organizations that use statistics. This list is not meant to be an exhaustive one, but rather, it is intended to give you an idea of the range and diversity of opportunities available in statistics.
- NORC: Social science research (survey design)
- Mayo Clinic: Biostatistics
- Summer Institute for Training in Biostatistics
- Actuarial internships:
American Family Insurance
Mutual of Omaha
- US Census Bureau
- US Federal Reserve Board
- JPSM, Junior Fellow Program: Joint Program in Survey Methodology.
Careers, Degree Programs
- Career information at the Royal Statistical Society
- Career information at the American Statistical Association
- Statistics and Biology or Public Health, including Biostatistics or Ecology
- Biostatisticsat the University of Minnesota
- Epidemiology at Harvard University
- Public Health at Johns Hopkins University
- Penn State Center for Statistical Ecology and Environmental Statistics
- Quantitative Ecology and Resource Management, University of Washington
- Actuarial Work
- Statistics and the Social Sciences
- Careers at NORC, an organization that conducts surveys on public interest issues (health, education, etc.), including the General Social Survey (GSS).
- RTI International a non-profit corporation with consulting groups that work in areas such as economic and social research and research on environmental issues. RTI utilizes statistics in their research.
- Educational Testing Service, developers of the SAT, GRE, GMAT, TOEFL exams. They hire people trained in psychometrics and education measurement analysis.
- Center for Statistics and the Social Sciences, University of Washington