Juried Lessons for the Major
- Majors must complete four (4) credits of MUSC 385/386 Juried Lessons for the Major. Majors register for these courses regardless of which instrument or voice they elect to satisfy this requirement.
- All four (4) credits must be on the same instrument or voice and must be taken for a letter grade only (no S/CR/NC allowed).
- A minimum of one term must be at the 2-credit level.
- Students will be assessed twice: before and after instruction by the private instructor and at least one full-time faculty member who is not the student’s private instructor. Each major will pursue a course of study tailored to the major’s specific needs.
- Based on the major’s ability level at the start the course, the first initial assessment will define the expectations for the amount of work and progress the major must achieve. Students perform for the two faculty members involved for approximately ten minutes, followed by a discussion leading to the completion of the first half of the Juried Lessons for the Music Major Assessment Form.
- Music 299 Recital may be taken in lieu of 2 credits of private study (Music 385/386) required for the major.
- Music 285/286 Composition (individual instruction) does not satisfy this requirement.
- Students are encouraged to complete these four (4) credits in consecutive terms.