All students on Carleton programs receive international health insurance and medical, security, and travel assistance coverage through Cultural Insurance Services International (CISI). See the policy summary and benefit summary for further information about coverage and procedures for accessing assistance and submitting claims. CISI is your primary insurer while you are abroad, but you need to retain health insurance in the United States or your home country in case of an emergency where you would need to return home.
You will receive an email from CISI inviting you to print out an insurance card at least two weeks before your program. If you do not receive this email, please contact Off-Campus Studies. Note that CISI coverage is for the dates of the program only. You will have the option to purchase additional days for personal travel when you register and print out your card.
Check with the program provider to see what insurance/travel assistance is included and/or recommended. If you are required to provide your own insurance or determine that the coverage provided by the program is inadequate, you may buy an international policy through CISI, HTH Worldwide, or iNext.
Questions to ask your insurance provider to determine how well you are covered overseas:
- Are you covered abroad? At the limits suggested below or better?
- In the places where you are traveling, are some hospitals or doctors in-network and some out-of-network? Which ones?
- Do you need to submit your insurance card at the time of service, or do you pay up front and submit a claim for reimbursement later?
- Do you need to call your insurance company before being treated at a foreign hospital or clinic?
Suggested limits for international insurance coverage from Arthur J. Gallagher Risk Management Services, Inc.
- Medical Expense (per Accident or Sickness), Deductible Zero, Limit $250,000 at 100%
- Unlimited Lifetime Maximum
- Accidental Death and Dismemberment $10,000
- Medical Evacuation $100,000
- Repatriation/Return of Mortal Remains $50,000
- Emergency Medical Reunion $1,500
- Security Evacuation Rider $100,000